1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help! Describe this tone! How do I get it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CoffeeLove, Oct 11, 2013.

  1. CoffeeLove

    CoffeeLove Supporting Member


    I am trying to put a name to a specific type of tone or effect. I am not sure what effect or processor is being used to get this sound. I would call it "thick" with "extreme growl" or grit. I own a stingray, Ampeg all tube (9tubes) amp, and a great cab and have great tone but looking for something even more intense when it comes to the growl or grit (not talking about distortion).

    I get that many factors go into "tone" but this cannot just come from a particular bass, cab, or amp.

    Could someone please tell me the name/type of tone and how people are getting it.

    Not my style of music, but below are a couple links of two modern artists who's bass players have the desired tone. BE CERTAIN to listen to the runs/rifs between during transitions because that is where the tone really comes through. PLEASE HELP!

    J Cole (Crooked Smile)


Share This Page