Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help dialing in Lakland 55-94

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by seansbrew, Jun 28, 2004.

1. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I am having a bit of a time dialing in my 55-94. , in particular the d and g strings. They do not have an equal volume to the rest of the strings. Is this a pick- up adjustment or do I need to dial in a certain frequency? If so which one? I always hear people discussing the frequency responses of the e and b string, but what about the rest of them? What are the frequencies of each string?

2. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Sounds to me that your pickup heights need adjusting. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "dialing in"... but if you mean messing with the onboard EQ, I don't think that will help to even out the volume of each string much.

3. seansbrew

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Come to think of it that was a little vague, I mean to say that when I am playing the d and g strings I can hardly hear them in a live setting. I like a nice even tone across the board with a few mid frequencies subtracted and highs and lows bumped ( just a little, not like a smiley face). I am having trouble bringing out the high mids, I want advice on the eq aspect of the bass. With my other bass I do not have this problem.

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    As with most problems, it's much easier to find a solution if we know the starting point:)

Start from scratch. Set everything flat, amp and the bass' onboard EQ. Turn the amp up to approximate the volume you'll be playing, while having the Volume control on the basss all the way up. DON'T CUT OR BOOST ANYTHING.

Now listen. How does it sound? We can proceed from there.

While this doesn't have to be overly complicated it can take a bit of time... or it might not. It's still good to have an idea how to track down issues like this.

Is the problem still the same when you do as described? It could be a matter of adjusting the pickup height, which is an adjustment loads of bassists miss. In addition you'll want to balance the pickup heights, meaning getting the two pickups to have about the same volume output when soloed (generally speaking) with the pan pot. You can also shade this towards your desired tone... if you want more of the neck pickup in the combined sound, having it closer to the strings than the bridge pickup can accomplish this and vice versa. I do these adjustments by sight and ear, it's not hard to tell when you have the pickups too close or too far away from the strings.

If you're still having the lower output on the D and G the type and size of strings may be a factor. Sometimes you can hear a difference with the unplugged sound of the bass if this is the problem. Most likely it's not.

The Lakland 55-94 has a lot of flexibilty EQ-wise... you have a 4 position switch inside the control cavity that can pick one of four center frequencies for your midrange cut and boost control. It'll take trial and error to find which setting you prefer to use. I doubt EQ is the issue, I've owned three Laklands (55-94, 55-02 and 55-01) and the string to string balance was excellent on all three. No magic there, I just did a good do it yourself for yourself setup on them.

Let's see if this resolves your problem. And above all else never underestimate the effect of leaving everything flat and turning your amp up first, it's a mistake loads of people make. They tweak at low volume and then those tweaks can be overpowering and downright unpleasant at their actual performing volume. If you turn up you'll typically have more highs, mids and lows than you can imagine and at that point THEN you can make EQ tweaks. Small ones at first so you can truly get a handle on what's doing what. Be patient and listen.

Good luck.

5. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    what Brad said- and if you are looking to tweak the mids- experiment, as Brad said, with the switching combinations inside the cavity... not much i can add...

6. seansbrew

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Thanks for your input everyone, I am going to start from scratch and level everything out, then go from there. I think I will also tilt the pup's a tiny bit to see what it effect it has.

7. seansbrew

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    MY lakland 55-94 is now dialed in. Thanks for the help everyone, I followed your advice and leveled everything out to zero on my bass and amp. Next I turned the volume up to a suitable playing volume that I would use in a band setting. I realized that I was adding too many frequencies unnecessarily. I actually subtracted a few frequencies ( just a few db) on the head side and any additions I now control on the bass. I now have the flexability to change my tone at the bass as each song requires(slap, tap, fingerstyle). I now realize that just because adjustments are there, it does not mean you have to use them, now almost all of the tone controls on my Ampeg are flat. :hyper:

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Sean, that's exactly how I control my tone, too. I set my WT-800 flat, then dial in the tone from the bass (a 55-94). For extra midrange punch, favor the bridge pickup. It'll really bark all the way back.

9. seansbrew

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Hey Munji, what midrange frequency do the have selected on your 55-94? I went from the 500hz selection to the 250hz selection ( to bring out the fingerstyle). I am going to experiment with all of them to see wich one benifits me the most. An external switch would be nice, I wonder how much that would cost.

10. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    An external switch would be nice, but typically you'll end up with three positions max and the Lakland has four options. If you're sure you wouldn't miss one it shouldn't be too hard to do.

I have a few basses that have a three position mid center frequency select toggle switch. Pretty handy... much easier than going in the control cavity.

Congrats on getting what you want... that's a major step in the right direction.

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I think it's on the 700 right now. I tried the 500, but didn't like it. Boost was too muffy, but cut was good for the scooped sound. I wanted a little more bite on the boost side. Switch, heck, why not just put a frequency pot on the front?

12. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Phenominal Idea!!I am guessing it would be to bulky(large) and, or heavy to go onboard??

13. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Because a sweepable frequency range pot on a bass IME is a pain in the butt. Very difficult to repeatedly dial in the same setting. Like Alembic for example.

My 78 Tobias has a semi-parametric tone control. Great idea... on paper. On a gig... uh uh.

:eyebrow:

14. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Not bulky at all. You could easily do a stack pot with frequency select/ cut or boost.

15. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    AGREED, 10,000 %