1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help!! Did Fender have a purplish color in 1999??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassguppy, Apr 27, 2010.

1. I'm looking at the 1999 Fender catalog as I write this, and RMay is correct: It's Purple Metallic (93 in the catalog).
    I passed up a chance to snag a Jazz in that color for a good clearance price about 2001 and I'm still irritated about it.

2. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    That is midnight wine, which was a USA color in the late 90s. My '98 USA Jazz is the same color. It can look very different in different lighting and can be difficult to photograph consistently, but the bass in that picture is midnight wine.

3. Looks like someone is gonna party like 1999 today.

4. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    Yes I've seen one just like it a rockin robin. Cept it has barts

5. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
  6. that bass was on ebay about 3 weeks ago and of course I missed signing on to the auction by 5 minutes and never bid on the bass. :crying:

:mad:

7. I have this same color, Midnight Blue, an 2001 MIM Jazz, and people call it purple all the time. Great color. :D

8. i actually still own my mim fender jazz that is absolutely purple . i don't recall the name they used when it was sold to me but it is dark purple . i bought it new around 97 or so .

9. Farfetched

Farfetched

Jan 7, 2009
    Midnight Wine is closer to a maroon / burgundy kind of color.

10. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Not true. Midnight Blue was offered as a US finish before it made it to the MIM instruments. I have a Midnight Blue MIA Fender Jazz that dates to 1992/3 that is all original, and I purchased new from a dealer. I remember midnight wine being around at that time too. People have called my bass purple too, but I can't see it as anything but blue.

...And midnight wine cannot be mistaken for purple. It really is a dark red color and not metallic.