Help -- Did I Fry My WM12?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cmhgreg, Apr 3, 2005.

1. cmhgreg

Oct 26, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    I have an SWR WM12 combo. It has been sitting in my buddy's basement studio for the last six months and I have only used it sparingly since I purchased a head/cab setup. Last night I didn't feel like hauling my amp head over there and decided to just play through the WM12. I wasn't getting the volume I was accustomed to so I decided to run my 4x10 (I keep it down there all the time so I don't have to haul it around) through it as an extension.

It was dark and I have maybe hooked up an extension to the SWR one other time. I didn't notice that there were two output jacks on the back panel. Unfortunately, I ended up hooking the 4x10 into the headpphone jack instead of the extension cab jack. After playing for about 20-30 minutes I smelled something. I turned everything off, found the problem, and let it cool off. Hooked it up properly and jammed for an hour. No apparent problems. We took a break and when I went to turn on again, no sound. The power light comes on; I get a signal to the tuner output and the headpone jack (w/headphones!), but nothing through the internal speaker or the extension output.

I know I am an idiot. Live and learn. Can anyone give me an educated guess as to the severity of the damage? Can it be repaired? Will it be cost-effective given that it was probably only worth $200-$250 anyway? Thanks.
  2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Did you accidently bump the switch that turns off the internal speaker?

If that doesn't do it, only a tech opening it up can tell you what's wrong and how much it will cost to fix. The one place that I've dealt with gave me the option of paying a fee ($25 or $30 IIRC) to diagnose the problem. The fee was applied to the cost of my repairs.

If a shop in your area does very clear about the repair fee once they give you an estimate. The place that I dealt with gave me a figure which they called a "total", which I assumed was the total (before sales tax) and that I'd actually owe them the total (plus tax) minus the amount that I had already paid. When I went to pick the amp up, the number that I agreed to over the phone was the "additional charge" after the diagnosis fee. We did work it out, but I'll never go back there because of their misleading business practices.
  3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i think you may have damaged it

the speaker you plugged into headphone jack was 8 ohms, but the headphone jack was "expecting" to see something like 600 ohms (i forget what headphones are). actually it was the circuitry connected to the jack that was "looking for" 600 ohms. in essesnce this circuitry got a much lower impedance load than it was designed for, and for a long period of time to boot. being electronic and therefore stupid, it attempted to comply and put out much more wattage/voltage or whatever as dictated by the impedance of the cab, amounts it was never intended to do.

hopefully it wont cost you that much and you didnt damage much. :meh:

and i would definitely get it fixed, the wm-12 is a great amp. or give it to me, i'll get it fixed. :D
  4. cmhgreg

Oct 26, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Thanks guys. I posted this before trying it out this morning. I can't explain it, but it is working fine right now. I will have to monitor it I guess to see if it is intermittant. If so, there could be a lose connection or a faulty jack somewhere. Anyway, I'm feeling a little relief right now. I love this little guy, even if I don't use it as much as I once did.