HELP! did i just blow my D410XLT?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mrWr0ng, Jan 12, 2002.

1. ok, i'm not sure hwat's going on cos the sound i was getting was VERY weird, so i can't make a straight call either way.
    during band practice, after playing for 3 hours, i started hearing a sound like similar to the guitar intro to tool's "prison sex". kind of like if you have a vacuum of water and you disturb it by putting in air. best way i can describe it, really.
    so, i've got an Eden WT400 going into my D410XLT (8 ohm, RMS = 700 watts), and i've been told a bunch of times to watch the output lest it burn the cones since i'm underpowering the cab. Well, the preamp clips a bit on the harder notes (when i'm slapping, etc), but the master volume does not clip AT ALL.
    when i had my bass plugged in, with the volume on the bass all the way down, as i turned up the volume on the preamp and output, it would make the sound.
    when i plugged my bass into my friends peavey bass head and then into my cab, it made a "woowoowoowoowoowoo" sound out of the cab, different but still a constant sound.
    however, when i got home (after giving the cab an hour rest), i plugged it in and turned up the volume again and it didn't make ANY sounds, everything sounded fine.
    i'm not sure if it was the cab from being hot and being played, if i busted something, but what i'm thinking is that it might actually be the BASS, because i wired in some bartolini pickups and preamps a few weeks ago, but honestly i didn't do a good job soldering in the ground, so i'm wondering if the heat of playing the bass for 3 hours caused the ground to get a little loose and the lack of a solid ground was causing the sound.
    what do you guys think? i've got a show next saturday night so i gotta figure this out!
  2. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I doubt that you have blown your 410XLT. Usually speakers are blown when a power amp goes into clipping. Once they are blown they stay blown.

Could be a bad battery in your bass. Maybe you wired it up so that the battery is connected even when the bass is not plugged in. It is most likely the electronics in the bass or the battery.

Good luck!