1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help, difficulty with sound and setup

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wayfarers All, Aug 10, 2012.

1. I am having a great deal of difficulty with my setup. It has most to do with the reactivity with the bass and setup once i have to bring the volume up in a full band setting.

A brief detail of the scenario.

I play very light and sometimes very fast with what i call a piano player's downstrike as my right hand. I get a variety of tone depending on way i strike, particularly very unique false harmonics and other nuances. Now just playing at practice solo volume this is no issue. Once i have to crank up the volume for a full band, this goes all to hell. I get all sorts of loss of tone, weird metal clanking and other problematic sounds. It also makes me have to play so much harder, that i loose all dexterity and technique.

I played at my friend's practice studio doing everything from fusion to punk rock, without any of the problems happening, and i had my full spectrum of playing. I just plugged my stingray into his carvin 2x10-1x15 combo that was run into a board going out through monitors, and some eq/effects setup. There was no irregularities and i had full ability to play at any volume softly. Weather i plucked, downtapped, or standard slapped, the volume was consistant and did not overload either. When i asked him how is this working, he said " i went to fullsail an got a degree to not have these problems", and did not explain anything.

My equipment is as follows. Musicman Stingray 5 or Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, into Boss Compressor Pedal, into David Eden World Tour 800c running 4x10-1x15 Hydrive Stack.

I am at a loss for how to get this setup to react correctly. I know this is good gear and should be able to work. I hope i don't have to go buy a rack and monitors just to have proper tone control. Sometimes we play at venues with full stage/front of house sound where a sound engineer should be able to do the same job as my friend, but we will also will play at indi/punk venues with minimal stage equipment, and a 4x10-1x15 hydrive with 800 watt eden should be enough.

Does anybody have any experience with this issue or recommendations to a solution? This includes suggestions of extra equipment that solves these things that might have been happening in the for mentioned rehearsal studio?

2. Extra info... The World Tour 800c has a semi parametric EQ on it.

3. Mola Ram

Mola Ram

Jan 18, 2010
    Chicago
    Perhaps your gain is too high? When you crank the volume try rolling it back a bit.

4. My gain is usually set low as can be (10 o'clock position) and only comes up when volume knob gets close to 2 o'clock. But there is something that was done very noticeably when The sound guy did the DI thing. The keeping low gain was the first thing i tried.

5. Vortex Tess

Vortex Tess

Aug 10, 2012
    Asheville, NC
    The soundboard you are talking of probably has a compressor and or a noise gate on there. The amp is most likely supplying 1/4 to 1/2 of the volume, and the setup is most likely eq'd to have the bad tomes out. As for how to get that out of the Bass rig you are saying, I am at a loss.

6. Vortex Tess

Vortex Tess

Aug 10, 2012
    Asheville, NC
    Update:
    Ok, so the issue for this turned out to be
    A. the speakers themselves,
    B. The amp

It seems that the Hydrive metal cones were killing off a certain area of harmonics and frequency. This was found when I tried a SVT classic first through Ampeg speakers, then tried a used one i was looking to buy through my 4x10 hydride. Well, the tone was dead and had no tapping response through the hydrive. The second issue was the eden wt-800. It also seems that the semi-parametric eq on the eden looses some of the harmonic ring that i am looking for. This becomes heavy when i pull a few different false harmonics plus secondary string noise on top of the fundamental bass tone by way of how i down strike. I should have tried a different cab earlier. but it threw a lot of different bass players in town trying to help figure the problem out...

7. sadasar

sadasar

Jan 21, 2012
    Dallas Texas.
    endorsing artist hard luck king guitars and knuckle head strings
    I was gonna ask about the can I have a Hartke head but never liked the metal cone sound. Hope you get it squared away.

8. I think the secret lies in how you use your compressor to even out your dynamics especially if you are using harmonics in a full band context. Compressor used lightly can be very effective in getting a full range sound out of the bass.