HELP! Dingwall Combustion bass bridge issues (unscrewing & buzzing)

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Manu Dlb, Feb 28, 2021.

1. Manu Dlb

Manu Dlb

Feb 28, 2021
    France
    Hi everyone,

I’m having issues with my Dingwall Combustion’s bridge: anytime I play, the B & E strings get lower against the neck as the screws that are supposed to set and maintain the action, unscrew themselves... In addition to that, I hear a buzzing sound coming from the bridge as I play these two strings.

Any idea how I can solution that? Or if there’s anywhere I can find these Dingwall single string bridge parts? Last solution I could think of is replacing them all to new Hipshot triple lockdown single string bridges but I don’t wanna have to drill new holes in my bass, anyone know anything about that?

Thanks in advance & y’all stay safe!
    Cheers

Attached Files:

2. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Blue 242 Loctite

upload_2021-2-28_15-16-10.jpeg

wraub, RSBBass and Manu Dlb like this.
  3. Manu Dlb

Manu Dlb

Feb 28, 2021
    France
    Looks like an interesting and cheap solution! Thank you :)

Is that a common issue with Dingwall bridges? If so, I’d prefer a long term solution. Do you know if Hipshot bridges fit the original bridge’s screw holes?

Slater likes this.
  4. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician
    It is a common occurrence with many bridges. There is a procedure I recommend for dealing with it that is pretty well permanent.

Remove a set screw. Add small drop of Loctite Blue to the threads and re install the screw. Rotate the screw back and forth as the Loctite dries. When it is close to drying it will start to squeak, or at least will tighten up significantly. Continue rotating the screw back and forth for another 30 seconds or so. The you can set the saddle height to your preference and it will stay there.

This will keep the screw from moving on it's own, but you will still be able to adjust it as needed.

fhm555, wraub, RSBBass and 3 others like this.
  5. Manu Dlb

Manu Dlb

Feb 28, 2021
    France
    That’s great, thank you very much! I’ll try this ASAP then :)

First time asking for help on a forum, not disappointed by the support, cheers guys

One Way and Slater like this.
  6. Sheldon D.

Sheldon D. Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 3, 2001
    Blue Loc-tite is a little too strong. We use Loc-tite #222 which is purple. If you can't find any locally, we can send you a small sample size. Just email [email protected] with your details.

wraub, RSBBass, Slater and 2 others like this.
  7. Manu Dlb

Manu Dlb

Feb 28, 2021
    France
    Thank you for the precision! I should be able to find that but thanks for the offer :)
    Even though I have this issue with my bass, it's an amazing piece of gear that I can't wait to have fixed now!
    Cheers

8. Another option is to simply wrap plumbers tape around the entire screw and wind it down. Not permanent, but it will last a long time, is cheap to buy and easily kept in a gig bag.
    Fishheadjoe

RSBBass and Manu Dlb like this.
  9. Manu Dlb

Manu Dlb

Feb 28, 2021
    France
    I'll keep that option in mind, thanks!

10. RSBBass

RSBBass

Jun 11, 2011
    NYC
    I have had teflon plumbers tape on one bridge screw for about 15 years now with no problems.

Manu Dlb likes this.
  11. Manu Dlb

Manu Dlb

Feb 28, 2021
    France
    Damn, that's a lot of time indeed, looks like that would work too

RSBBass likes this.
  12. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    I know Loctite is likely better, but I've always used clear nail polish for this... A little on the screw and it's set.

Manu Dlb and fhm555 like this.
  13. Manu Dlb

Manu Dlb

Feb 28, 2021
    France
    That's always good to know in case it happens on tour (whenever that'll be a thing again...) and that I forgot my loctite at home haha
    Cheers

wraub likes this.
  14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2022