1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help dissassembling a vintage P

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bassteban, Feb 23, 2008.

1. I want to take my 73 apart to verify the level of originality. Can someone give me a basic walk-through? I'm guessing loosen strings, remove from tuners, unscrew & remove neck, same for pickguard & bridge, take pics(in case I decide to sell/trade), reassemble in reverse order. I've done setups on basses & some minor mods but I'm determined to be extar-careful w/this one- any comments?

2. Nope. Seems you've pretty much got it there.

Good luck.

3. Overthinking(for a change)I guess. Now, stand back! :eyebrow:

4. And make sure to use a screwdriver with a bit that's in good condition, and the right size for the screws. You'll need both a #1 and #2 tip.

5. Hi, bassteban.

Not overthinking at all IMHO. You can do a quite large value reduction by screwing things up.

+10.

Buy new quality ones if You're in doubt. Nothing more annoying than an otherwise fine instrument with destroyed slots.

Regards
    Sam

6. Flintlock

Flintlock

Jul 3, 2007
    Southampton
    Does the truss rod need loosening when you remove the strings?

7. herndonbassist

herndonbassist Low Down Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    You do realize that you OWE us some pics...

:D

8. I'd leave the trussrod the way it is, although it might take overnight for it to come back to true when you put it back together.

9. Agreed. Don't mess with the truss rod - it will be fine. If you change the adjustment you're only borrowing trouble.