Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help! does anyone own the Df 404 model or played it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ltd_metal_boy90, Sep 30, 2005.

1. Well I was wondering because I am thinking about buying one. Thank you in advanced for answering this. :bassist:

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I assume this is a bass? Who makes it?

3. ESP, I have played it but I would like to know what kind of luck people have had with ESP's.

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Well knowing that, I can tell you I went through a metal phase and always checked out the ESP's and was nothing but unimpressed with the quality of the items on the shelf, more than bad setups but the things were falling apart more than any other brand on the shelf. Tells ya something about QC IMO. On the other hand, their guitars are nicer, but the ESP stuff is the best, LTD leaves plenty to wish for.

5. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I have an F205 and I has given me great service and no trouble. I broke one tuning machine, don't know if that was the basses fault or mine.

I think ESP makes very good basses, some of the best I've found in the $500-$1000 range. I've not played a DF but other than the inlay I can see nothing to dislike about it, and the inlay is a matter of taste.

6. Alright well thanx It cost about 700 so I hope it is a good bass...

7. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    I haven't played the DF404. I own a B-304 and I love it. Great tone when eq is flat and you can dial in tons of bass, mids, and highs. I'm not sure why ESP/LTD takes a bad rap around here; I've owned 2 thus far and have been very pleased with both. I guess nobody likes 'em because they aren't made out of AAAAA wood with spalted tops and Nordstrand p/ups in a singlecut design with 10 strings and a tremolo. :eyebrow:

(don't get me wrong I love spalted wood tops... :cool: )

edit: BTW I think that's a bada$$ inlay...it would be better if it was toned down a notch...but it's still bada$$. Congrats on the new bass!

8. Alright, Have u seen the model before? It has a crazy fret board. Here it is...

[​IMG]

9. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I own a C-304 and, IMO, it is the best playing and sounding bass that I have come across. Much better than anything near it's price range and better than many others costing much more. I tested literally dozens of basses and this one beat them all including Fender, Ibanez, Peavey, Warwick, Spector, Schecter, MM and IMO........Sadowsky. Go ahead and flame away.

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Just wanted to point out and make sure you KNOW it's not a standard bass, as it has an extended fretboard and is designed for BEAD tuning, not the standard EADG.

11. Yes, I know bu thank you for the heads up!

12. Well this is what it is between... Fender Deluxe Jazz bass(Mexican) or Esp Ltd DF 404.

13. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    In your case, I would definitely go for the ESP over the Fender. I have owned Fenders in the past and was never pleased with any of them. I have been ecstatic with my ESP, though. Good luck.