Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HELP... dont know what bass to get.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PeaveyTNT, Jul 21, 2002.

1. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    USA
    I have it narrowed down between the Fender Jazz and the Fender Standard P... I like the fender P cause it is a very simple rig... But it doesnt come wih active pick ups... I like the jazz cause it is simple and comes with active pick ups.... help me...

2. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    You like them both because they're simple, but one is active, that i think does it. Get the Jazz! I prefer jazz over P, go try em' out, go see what you like most.

3. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    USA
    yeah......................good point...... but.... i dunno... the one i get is the one i have to put up with tilli have a job and can by my own equipment...

4. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    I have the same problem, what type pf music do you play?

5. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    USA
    punk... hard rock... anything that falls into the rock category... but the p bass, which is made for rock, doesnt come active so when we start giggin, ill need more amp power... but if i get the active jazz... my peavey tnt and a 2x10 would be fine with a active bass...

6. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    USA
  7. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    Sounds like you want the jazz...and I know plenty of rock bands who use jazz, but more use P.
    Oh well, I say Jazz, but it's up to you.

8. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    USA
    heck... washburn RB 2002!!!!

9. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    If you want I nice, long lasting bass, I don't think your gonna want Ibanez, have you ever used one of those, the necks are painfully thin!

EDIT: or washburn, beleive me you'll like be better off with the jazz, but GO PLAY THESE BASSES!

10. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    USA
    im playing an ibanez sound gear right now... i dont have a problem with the neck.

11. Velkov

Velkov

Jan 17, 2001
    Lansdowne, Ontario
    An active bass won't give you more power. A bigger amp will. The output of an active bass is higher than the output of a non-active but don't think that an active bass solves volume problems. If you need volume, get a big amp.

12. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    USA
    i was told at the music store that active pick ups gave you a volme boost...

13. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Active basses have higher output.

But let´s say you have a 100W amplifier, you´re not going to get 130W out of it with an active bass, you´re gonna get 100W no matter what kind of bass you have.

Well, you know what I mean :)

B.t.w., please shorten your signature :) It´s rather tedious to scroll down so much just to read the next reply.

14. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    USA
    herm... dunno... then why does my amp have a button that is either in or out depending on if the bass is active or not?

15. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    The amp has that button to compensate for the active bass. The active bass input is usually -6db in order to compensate for the higher output of the bass.

But you´re missing the point here, a 100W amp is an 100W amp, no matter what bass you have. You can´t make the amp magically louder by switching to an active bass.

The difference between active and passive basses are the following:
    Active: Higher output, use batteries, usually the have an onboard EQ so you can mess with treble, mid and low.
    Passive: Not as much output as the actives, no batteries, limited onboard EQ´ing. Usually limited to treble or bass.

There are probably more differences between them, but I came up with these just off the top of my head.

16. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    USA
    oooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhh.... i get it... it just give yo much more control of the sound... and better sound....so... screw the active jazz bass.... get a 2x10 extension for my tnt.... and get a standard fender p...

17. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Exactly! :)

18. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    USA
    *smacks self*.... silly me.....

19. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    Problem easily solved, I thought you were really into the active tone...

20. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    No, as pretty much everyone here has said, GET THE JAZZ BASS!.