1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help downsizing my rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Richard Mac, Jun 16, 2018.

1. Richard Mac

Richard Mac

Jun 16, 2018
    Hi!

I’m hoping to get some advice on downsizing my rig for smaller shows.

I am currently running an Ampeg SVT 7 Pro with an Ampeg 610 but finding for smaller shows this is too big to lug around! I will be keeping this for my larger shows but need something small and versatile as well.

The first thing that I’m undecided about is whether to go 115 or 212. I’d like to keep my tone as close to where I have it now, I like to push the gain for that classic Ampeg growl...would I be right in saying that a 212 would perform more similarly to my 610 than a 115 would? I’ve only ever used 610s and 410s, so I’m wondering will downsizing when I’m used to these be totally underwhelming or am I just worrying too much??!! Lol

I have my eye on the following cabs:

1. Markbass 212 Ninja
    2. Ampeg Pro Neo 115 HLF
    3. Ampeg SVT 212 AV
    4. Orange OCB 212 isobaric.

Can anyone give me their personal opinions on any of these cabs or their thoughts on the subject? I know in an ideal world I’d pop into a store and test them all but it’s just not possible. I’m sure there’s tonnes of talkbass members that have had to downsize through necessity and i also know that tone and preference is subjective but I’d love to know more about people’s own experiences in down sizing or using any of these cabs.

Not expecting a definitive answer just some opinions so that I can weigh up pros and cons and decide for myself.

Thanks.

2. Get a pair of Av210's and vertical stack. Crank input gain on your amp and leave Master vol low as you need.

3. Burwabit

Burwabit Likes guitars that tune good and firm feelin women Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2011
    Lubbock, TX
    If this thread had a poll, I would vote 212AV.

Gravedigger Dav likes this.
  4. bordinco90

bordinco90 Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    You could try a Hartke KB15. I love mine. I did however have to put a new speaker (Eminence Legend CB158)in it since the factory speaker kept farting out. Now its much better.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Not familiar with the Pro Neo 115 but the 212av is very much up the alley of the 610hlf and 810e soundwise, IMHO.

6. Backdrop

Backdrop

Feb 2, 2011
    Los Angeles
    212AV. Have not tried the others but I've had the 212AV since Dec. 2016. Does the job well. Paired with a SVT-CL. Do miss my 610hlf though.

Richard Mac likes this.
  7. Richard Mac

Richard Mac

Jun 16, 2018
    Yeah that’s what I do currently... but obviously with the 610 cab.

8. But those 210s are one in each hand and the rest in shoulder bags = 1 trip loading.

Richard Mac likes this.
  9. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    No. It doesn't work that way. Measuring the size of individual speakers is basically meaningless as a way of figuring out what a cab will sound like.

10. Only in the sense that all thing being equal it will move more air than a 1x15. Beyond that the enclosure and the speakers themselves would come into play. IMHO your best bet would be to try a few to see which you prefer.

Richard Mac likes this.
  11. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Get an Ampeg 2x10.
    or get 2, and vertically stack them.
    Then, sell your 6x10 because you won't wanna lug it around anymore.
    :)

Richard Mac likes this.
  12. Richard Mac

Richard Mac

Jun 16, 2018
    I’ve been dreaming of one trip load ins

13. Richard Mac

Richard Mac

Jun 16, 2018
    I’m swaying towards the 212av, mainly due to everyone’s advice however the Ampeg SVT 7pro is 1000w at 4ohm, the 212av is 600w 4ohm. I know this is the same as my 610 which is also only 600w 4ohm, but will I be doing damage to the cab in this configuration?

I got the 610 cheap and second hand so never really cared too much before, just abused it but this new cab will be bought new and I’d like to look after it!