Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help drilling hole in graphite for Hipshot D-Tuner?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by berklee46, Apr 21, 2001.

1. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    I just got my Hipshot D-Tuner for a Status-Graphite S-2, but am having a little trouble installing it. The screw that mounts the unit to the back of the headstock is a little bigger than the screw that was there holding the tuner in place.
    I originally tried to put the new screw in and see if it would bite into the graphite and hold, but no luck. I then did what I'd do with wood in this situation - I drilled the hole out just a bit, hoping that the new screw would have room to work, and would thread itself into the new hole. No luck again - the screw head i stripped, so I'm guessing the hole still is too small...

My question is this: Is there a certain way I need to drill this hole to make the screw thread into it? I don't want to drill a hole *too big* and have the screw not lock in (I can't put the original tuner back, since the hole is a little too big, and not threaded anymore.)

I'm sitting here with a 3 string bass, so I look forward to any advice you could give.

2. You might try to lubricate the screw before putting it in the hole. An old carpenters trick is to use soap on the threads. Just scrape the screw on a bar of soap and then tighten into place. If you need to enlarge the hole, compare the bit you want to use with the screw itself. The bit should only be as large as the shank of the screw - not the threads themselves.

Hope this helps