Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HELP!! early 90's warwick

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RockStar571, Aug 16, 2004.

1. i've stumbled upon an early 90's warwick corvette proline with duncan pickups,not aftermarket. it's new old stock so it's never been taken out of the store (you'd be surprised how often stuff like that happens in east ky) what's a good price on such an instrument in mint condition?

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    $1100? $1000?

3. he's got 1050 on it with hsc i'm greatly considering going down there today and bringing that baby home

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Guess my estimate was pretty spot on then, heh. Yea it seems like a good price. Thats about the same as what a new model corvette proline goes for, except the older ones are better.

Sounds like a good deal.

Try to milk it a little though. Offer him $900 (heh) see what he says. He might give it to you for $1000 or cheaper.

5. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    Be careful! Make sure you go over it with a fine tooth comb. Check the neck for warpage and especially check the frets-make sure they're not protruding too much, etc. Any bass that's been sitting around that long (not in a case) could have some problems. How controlled is the temp/humidity in the store. I've never owned a Warwick, but I do like them a lot. Maybe some Warwick owners can chime in here. I think they (the ones w/natural oil finish) need to be waxed regularly, if not the body of the bass, then possibly the neck? Don't want to rain on your parade, just tryin' to help a brotha out. Sounds like a great find! Good luck! :cool:

6. it's one of those stores where you can't play the thing with out asking i don't think he waxes them but i know it's in great shape. don't worry i plan to know it better than the basses i already own before i lat down my hard earned $. but hopefully i can at least get him down to 1k and a set of strings ;)

7. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    Make sure he includes a can of wax too! ;)

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    And i would see if he has any Warwick wax as well. Buying a Warwick without wax is like buying a car without tires ;)

EDIT: ah he beat me by a second or two.

Also see if he has the Warwick truss rod tool...

9. i know he doesn't have the wax there's only a couple music stores in the state that carries warwick wax...thats one of the reasons i sold my last one

10. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    FINALLY, Boston comes out on top of NY at something! You don't see that everyday!

:D

11. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Believe it or not im more of a Red Sox fan.

:bag:

12. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    Good luck to you, man that's all I can say. :eyebrow:

13. all i can say is be glad you don't have to be a reds fan

14. maxbass

maxbass

May 22, 2002
    Milano Italy
    I could be wrong, but a Proline can't be early 90's, maybe 95 or later.
    Check the serial number on the back ot the headstock.
    The last two digits are the year of priduction.
    Check the neck, and the body too if unfinished, it should have been waxed periodically. Otherwise there could be some cracks because Warwick unfinished woods dry easily.

15. mrbungle

mrbungle

Nov 13, 2000
    tampere, finland
    I think the prolines are gloss finished, so it doesn't need waxing.

Off course, all the typical things should be checked: is the neck straight, any dings, are the pots ok etc. The Warwicks are very robust, so there probably are no problems.

16. maxbass

maxbass

May 22, 2002
    Milano Italy

17. Correct! they can be ordered in natural, coloured oil or the full on gloss finish! or it was that way when I last ordered one a few years back!
    So if it isn't the full gloss, check for cracks!

Tony

18. it's a '93 in a natural finish (maple) i went ahead and bought it and LOVE it

19. maxbass

maxbass

May 22, 2002
    Milano Italy
    It should be one of the first Corvettes then. I think back those days there was no distinction among Standard and Proline, but I ain't sure.
    You could ask directly at Warwick usually they're very kind.

20. nope the truss rod cover says corvette pro-line