1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help...Eden D810RP for sale locally

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassjnky1, Oct 3, 2013.

1. bassjnky1

bassjnky1 Supporting Member

Hey guys, could use a little assist here...
    I ran across an Eden D810RP for sale locally and I am very tempted to check it out. This would be my first 810 experience and I am trying to get my brain around the assertion that a 140 pound 810 is easier to manage that a 410. This would not be my only cab, so, I'm not expecting it to do everything.

Of course, the ultimate test will be playing it to see if it fits my tonal preferences, but, I would like to hear any experiences that anyone may have had with this cab...either playing or owning this thing.

My gigging bands play tunes ranging from Coltrain to Cake to RHCP, so, a tweetered 810 seems to be a good idea.

The cab was evidently purchased new 3-4 years ago and is supposedly in excellent condition. What would be a fair price to pay? Are there any inherent problems with the design?

A famous moto-journalist once said that everyone should drive a V12 before they die. Is the 810 the bass players V12?

2. 810s usually have wheels and high handles / bars on them to aid loading. 410s generally have to be picked up from the floor. Which is easier - rolling a dolly around or bending down to pick a heavy box up off the floor? Stairs are your only real obstacle so some people install metal plates to the back of the cab at the foot to take the abuse of being dragged up and down steps.

Aye, troo dat yo.

I had an early Peavey 810TX that I bought in or around 1995 and I killed the tweeter more than once. I prefer to remain tweet-free, but that's just me. If I'd known how to disable it and its crossover all those years ago, I would have. The 10s do highs well enough for me all by themselves.

The story behind the dead tweeters - with coils that were very literally charred and melted - was that because of the crossover, the 10s got zero high end, causing me to have to crank the L-pad on the back of the cab to get enough top end for a full-range tone. I forget how much power I was pumping through it but at two different gigs the tweeter was doing crap so got turned way up so I could hear it. Minutes later, the coil melted. I went from not enough top end to the crossover muffling the tone going to the drivers. Hence the personal distaste concerning tweeters in bass cabs. Others have completely different experiences, but that's mine and it's why I've got the opinion that I have. It could very well just be that the Peavey tweeter was garbage.

Yup, IMO. But you may wish to consider whether it would be a ported or sealed 810. Ampegs, the originals, are sealed. Eden, Peavey, Mesa, etc., all made ported cabs and all sound completely different from the classic. That 80Hz (IIRC!) cutoff makes a pretty big difference.

3. bassjnky1

bassjnky1 Supporting Member

I hear ya...
    All of my current cabs have tweeters, so, no surprises there. As far as the low freq cut-off issues go I am a regular user of the Fdeck HPF. This Eden happens to be rear ported.

I am surprised by the unfamiliarity of this cab in this community. What to make of that?

4. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    CA
    Never heard one but on the Eden forum, a company rep described the tone as in between the XLT and XST drivers. If so, it's probably not too different from Eden's current 810, which features four of each type of driver.