1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

HELP! Electronics Cavity screws keep spinning (wont come out when I pull on them)

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by rossiman, Mar 28, 2013.

1. rossiman

rossiman

Aug 12, 2011
    Chicago
    So i got a used bass and wanted to check out the electronics. The first screw I unscrewed on the electronics cavity cover came out okay and i noticed it was slightly larger than the rest.

All of the other ones just keep spinning and dont move upwards when i unscrew them...

you figure that they must be small and that they should just pop right out, but they are not and I dont want to pull too hard and damage the cavity

2. megafiddle

megafiddle

May 25, 2011
    The holes in the body are stripped.

If you apply some light force to the cover, lifting it away from the body,
    you can use that to help move the screws out while turning them. If you
    can get one edge to lift a little bit, you might get a pick or something under
    the edge and keep some tension on it. Loosen the screws one by one, just
    a little at a time each (just a couple turns) so the cover comes up evenly.

You can also use some foam mounting tape to stick a small block of something
    onto the cover and use that to pull up on the cover.

If the screws are spinning free, they will come out. Just work carefully.

3. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Can you pull up and unscrew at the same time?

4. rossiman

rossiman

Aug 12, 2011
    Chicago
    Figured it out.... I had to yank the screws up..and that caused the threaded inserts to be yanked out of the Wood....i looked at the bottom and it appears that Modulus (its a modulus fb4) used longer than usual screws because they drilled through the bottom of the metal insert, thus causing it to be stuck.
    I am going to try and find suitable screws and reglue in the inserts