1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help: EMG solderless Geezer pickups in a GSM200 bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Sojo513, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Sojo513

Sojo513

Feb 3, 2017
    Last week I bought a brand new Ibanez GSR200 specifically as a mod testbed.
    Yesterday I ordered a set of EMG Geezer Butler signature PJ PUPs.
    Yesterday I also bought a set of Ernie Ball Slinky flatwounds.

I plan on recording a number of demos during the process- bone stock, stock PUPs w/flatwounds, new PUPs w/stock stings, new PUPs w/flatwound strings. All with the exact same mic/cable/cab/amp/etc. In the future I might continue on and swap on-board preamps, nuts, bridges, etc. Why? Boredom I guess. :whistle:

Anyway- Small hurdle I was hoping someone on TB might be able to help with. The stock GSR200 has an on-board "Phat II" module, which according to our forums, is nothing more than a re-branded EMG EXB (EMG Pickups / EXB / Tone Controls / For Bass / Accessories / Electric Guitar Pickups, Bass Guitar Pickups, Acoustic Guitar Pickups). The sticky bit is that the EMG kit is all solderless and the stock Ibanez stuff isn't. It's all a pretty straight-forward swap *EXCEPT* for the "Phat II" (aka EXB) tone control knob, which 1) doesn't show on any of the EMG wiring diagrams and 2) isn't solderless in its stock form factor. Do any of you know how/where to join the on-board preamp/tone-thingy into the EMG solderless setup?

Diagram of stock GSM200 wiring:
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-lMIH1zFZHxk/TyBBPdbXuZI/AAAAAAAAAwM/cp5OHai1vMc/s1600/GSR205_Stock_WD.jpg
    PDF installation instructions for GZR pickups from EMG:
    http://www.emgpickups.com/media/productfile/g/z/gzr_pj-hz_gzr_0230-0281rd.pdf

What irks me a bit is that I sent an email in to EMG about this a couple of [business] days ago and still haven't heard a response. :spit::rollno:

Thanks!

2. Scoops

Scoops Why do we use base 10 when we only have 8 fingers Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 22, 2013
    Sugar Creek, Wisc
    I am me
    The EMG Geezer PJ set up is pretty sweet all by it self, and IMHO, no need for any type of additional tone circuit.

I'd just throw in the Geezers and forget about ever changing a battery in that bass ever again

Growlmonkee likes this.
  3. rwkeating

rwkeating

Oct 1, 2014
    Chicago
    none
    Look at diagram 1 here http://www.emgpickups.com/media/productfile/e/x/exb_0230-0165rc.pdf
    From top down it is pickup input, ground, ground, pickup output, voltage.
    So match that to your GSR diagram and you get
    Your pickup goes to GSR: IN and GND
    Output (to your jack) is GSR: GND and OUT
    and your battery positive connects to GSR: VCC
    Your battery ground goes to the jack like in the GSR wiring diag.

Hope that helps. I am not familiar with either system, just trying to read all the diagrams.

4. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    Don't wait on an email response from them, just call them and speak with Allison who will put you in touch with a tech who will talk you through your install. I called them Monday and was assisted immediately.:cool: