Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help End My Cabinet Confusion!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mikeluch, Jan 10, 2005.

1. mikeluch

mikeluch Gold Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2004
    Ocala, FL
    I have recently gotten back into the playing after a few years off. Being out of the loop, I have posted a couple of threads looking for recommendations on combos and head/cab configurations. Thanks for the help!
    I have decided to go with an Ashdown Mag 300 with a cab.
    I play 4 strings, classic rock, with 2 guitars and drummer in a garage band. I need help choosing a cab!!!
    I am looking for a cab less than 50 lbs, 4 ohms since I don't plan on adding additional cabs, with a more classic rather than hi-fi tone.
    I was looking at an Avatar , but recently discovered Dr Bass on these posts. Any thoughts on these or other cabs?
    1x12, 2x10, 2x12? I like to have a more bottom to the sound than sparkle. Help me , please!!! :help:

2. I would recommend the 1x12 or 2x12 over a 2x10 configuration. A 2x10 can be a nice cab, but the 12's are a rounder sound and the Dr. Bass cabs can be old school (sim to a 1x15) or get hi-fi depending on how you eq your amp. The 2x12 is about 45 lbs and the 1x12 is about 35 lbs. If you get the 2x12 you can get a LOT of volume out of it without breaking up and it cuts through cleanly without being harsh. The 1x12 does the same without as much over-all volume.

I play mine without PA support from time to time and even with a 7 piece band I can always be heard (I even have to cut back on the bass frequency eq, which never happened when I used a 2x10).I rarely run my amp up to (or past) 5 and I use a 280 watts at 4 ohm amp. The Dr.Bass cab is tuned lower than the Avatar but you may not notice it if you use a 4 string.

3. mikeluch

Nov 30, 2004
    Ocala, FL
    Thanks for the feedback, that ifo is the kind I wa looking for.
    I play Fender P basses, G&l ASAT and L2000, Rick 4003 and Guild Starfire. How will the amp/cab combo sound with passive and active basses?
    I know alot is how I EQ, but was wondering about your experiences. Would you say the 2x12 is a huge difference over the 1x12, partcularly since it will be my only cab?

4. I'd vote two 12's. One will prob' be marginal, because we all have the tendency to turn up at some point.

btw: Marc sells a good cab for a great price, and he's a real square guy (those are both high compliments).

5. mikeluch

Nov 30, 2004
    Ocala, FL
    I would most likely go for the 2x12 sice the 1x12 is an 8 ohm cab and I would loose some amp headroom

6. +1 Marc will set you up well. you can probably get two 1x12 cabs at 8ohms and just take as many as you need. I wouldn't worry too much about not being 4 ohm cabs because they are very efficient and loud. If you go with the 2x12 definitely get the 4 ohm cab!