Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help, Epifani or Glockenklang cabs ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Shiveringbass, Aug 21, 2005.

1. Shiveringbass

Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    France
    Hello to all TBers,

I'm new here so this is my first post.
    :cool:
    Well this is my situation :
    I'm the very happy owner of a glockenklang rig, Soul head+ quatro 4x10" cab.
    I like the sound that I GET from it very much but my concern is its weight.
    I'm a bit tired to lug around my 4x10" so recently I figured out I could change my Qatro for a Epifani 310 UL.
    Epifani is not distributed in my country so I'd have to buy it abroad without listening to it.
    Basing myself on coments, I think that those two brends are quite close in sound but I'd like the imputs of people who would hae already A/B those two brends.

If you have that chance, where do your preference goes, why would you chose one or the other or what are the differences you noticed ?

I like the punch and clarity of my Glock cab and would not like to make some compromise to my sound but the Epi cab would take off about 40 lbs of my rig so my back would be quite happy !
    :)

Thanks for all your imputs and your help.

PS : I don't want to know i a brend is better than the other but just to know ifthey are quite close in sound.

2. Shiveringbass

Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    France
    Come on, no body ever tried or know those two brends ?
    I have a great deal on a Epi 310 so realy need your opinion.
    Epifani, as pure as a Glockenklang ?
    3x10" as good sounding as 4x10" ?

Thanks to all.

3. Shiveringbass

Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    France
    Thanks Smash for your answer. As I tsay it before, my tone is perfect for me but light weight with tone would be heaven.

Other thoughts about Glockenklang and Epifani ? I'm sure some TBers have meet those two brend even if I'm aware that Glockenklang is not so current in US and Epifani not so current in Europe, some place must carry both ?

Thanks to all

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    The new Glockenklang Neo cabs are quite light.

The Quattro Neo is 31 kg (68 lbs)
    The Take Five Neo is 25 kg (55 lbs).

Don't know the US prices though.

5. Shiveringbass

Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    France
    Thanks JMX but however, I already know the Glock. neo series and although I'm in Europe, it is financialy out of my reach : 1400 € for a 4x10". If it was not so expensive, I wouldn't have asked the question and would have go for it.
    As I said it before I can have a pretty good deal on Epi cab so if I change, it would be for this brend.

Anyway thanks for your answer.

It seems that TBers who tryed those two configuration are not so commun but however I'm still waiting for some imputs.

Thanks for your help.

Shiveringbass

6. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I've tried both in real world situations. The Glocks are among the most musical cabinets I've ever heard. The epis are higi and sound really good. I really like the sound of trhe glocks, but they didn't have the bottoms that the epif have. Also I think the epis have a little more growl but in a hifi way. What stopped me with the glock was the pricing. Here because of exchange rates etc., it gets really pricey to get one of these. I can get a bergantino which has 90-95% of the sound (especially the 115) for about 2/3 of the price. I think a berg to glock would probably be a better apples to apples comparison.

7. Shiveringbass

Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    France
    Thanks Pickebass, at last, I'm happy to read someone who tried both cabs !
    Have you found that the Epi was as clear as the Glock. From what I heard, I'm not worry about the punch of Epi cabs.
    When you say "growl" would you say that the Epi is more agressive ?

For the bottom, I'm quite surprised cause I find my Glock. 4x10 to be one of the best cab in this area. Even raised up from ground, it still produce a great amount of low frequencies, probably due to its 36 hz/ 18 khz band width.
    So I hope the bottom in Epi is not overwelming the other frequencies, is it ?

Thanks and other opinions are still appreciated.

Shiveringbass, Bass player for Shivering

8. Pickebass

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I would't say it's overwhelming, but it's more definitely has bottom to it. The Epi is definitley more aggressive than the glock, but not as agressive as an eden or aguilar cab. Overall, it is a very well balanced sounding cabinet. With the soul top, you shouldn't have any problem. The soul top has a very neutral tone with quick response. I've tried the soul top with my berg 310, and it seemed to need a little more power. I'm not sure of the sensitivity of the epi, but I don't think it is as effecient as the glock cabs

9. Shiveringbass

Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    France
    Both cab (Glock Quatro and Epi UL 310) have 103 db 1W/1m sensitivity.

And Pickebass, you said before that price was an issue for you about Glock. cabs. Have you seen that now Glock. offer their cab in US version with I think some very reasonable price (about 1090 $ for Quatro) or at least competitive price with other high end builders.

Thanks and up for the other TBers !

Shiveringbass, bass player for Shivering

10. bassjigga

bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    Can't really comment much on the sound of either cab because I haven't used them, but like others have noted, Glock does have lighter cabs now, and if they sound anything like the amps then I'd stick with Glock.

11. Pickebass

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    The US glock cabs have eminence speakers to bring down the costs. I've heard mixed reviews. Haven't heard one yet

12. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    Its been awhile since Ive played glock cabs, about two years, and I own epi cabs. Personaly, if you like the tone you have now, I would stay with the glock. They are both in the same league but a bit different from each other. I would say the glock is a bit more clean. Epi cabs have a touch of epi color to them. The 410 will be a bit louder than the 310 as well.

If you have a good deal on the epi 310, get it and try them both. Both cabs have good resale on the used market. Both are nice cabs.

13. Shiveringbass

Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    France
    How would you describe the "epi colour" ?
    You must also know my actual Quatro is a 8 ohms cab and the Epi is 5,3 ohms. So althought a 4x10" has more speaker area, the difference in ohmage will I think make the difference in volume minimal.

As for Glock. neo cab, as I said it before, they are out of my reach financialy, about 500 € more than the price I could get on a UL 310.

14. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    Lots of info ont the epi color (colour for you euro folk ;) ), you should spend some time and do a search. To me the epi color (as far as 10's goes) is a bit tighter and darker but not deeper than a bergantino cab, a bit more mid bump than an accugroove, more agressive than aguilar.

I didnt mention the glock neo, I think you should keep "your" glock cab. If weight is a big issue for you, than you will have to change your tone a bit or save up. It depends on whats important to "you".

I still think a reg glock 410 @ 8ohm will be louder than an epi 310 @ 5.3ohms. I guess it would depend on how you EQ and what tone you want though

jmo

15. Shiveringbass

Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    France
    Thanks Inozone for that clear description of Epi sound, dispite a lot of research, I had never seen a so precise description with comparison points. Everybody always describe them as clear and "slap friendly" but that's all.
    I guess I'll have to order it and see by myself if it do it for me.

Thanks and other imputs still appreciated

16. Shiveringbass

Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    France
    This time, I'm competly lost !
    :confused:

The place fro whcih I could get an Epi also propose me a Schroeder 1210 to replace my Glock Quatro. The shop seems to be sure of his product since they proposed me to try it and if I was not happy, they would change it for an Epi 4x10 after 15 days.
    I'm a strong 10" believer so not sure about the 12" of the Schroed.
    I read and heard all the buzz about Shroeder and have already been in contact with Jorg but still hesitating.

Thanks for your help.

Shivering bass, bass player for Shivering

17. I have both a 1210 and an Epifani410UL. Both amazing cabs in their own way. I use the 1210 on smaller gigs, and really like the low mid punch of that cab. However.... the Epifani410UL only about 10 pounds heavier, and there's just no comparison in volume and output (there shouldn't be.... since the Epi cab is much larger, etc.). For weight vs. output, I don't think there is anything that can match the 410UL (of course, if you don't like the sound, that wouldn't matter). Anyway, Jorg makes a wonderful cab, but that Epi410UL in 4ohms with 500-1000 watts pumping through it really is amazing.... it has a wonderful upper mid definition (vs. the 1210's lower mid punch) that makes both fingerstyle and slap playing a joy... you can hear every little nuance in your playing, and very, very slight adjustments in EQ come through wonderfully exact. The 1210 has a great sound, and IMO really sounds similar no matter what head or EQ setting you are using... which is not a bad thing if you like that sound. Finally, as I've mentioned on a number of posts... the standard tweeter in Jorg's cab results in a rather polite treble response... which is fine (and actually a positive) for the vast majority of players... however if you like a more aggressive 'funk/slap' sound ala Marcus Miller, the selenium tweeter option is really nice.

18. PS Noticed a few comments on the 310UL. I also own one of those.... great cab, but not even in the same league volume and 'bottom-wise' with the 410UL... the 410UL puts out exponentially more volume and low end when you really crank it up. At moderate volumes, they sound identical IMO. So, if you never have to really, really crank it up (i.e., playing aggressive funk/soul in an 800 person ballroom with no PA support... god help me!), the 310UL would be a great option... it's about the same weight as the 1210 and puts out about the same volume level IMO as the 1210. You can lift that 310UL with one hand and carry it with no problem.... amazing!

19. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Shivering bass, can i reccomend a trip to The Bass Centre in London, UK to try the cabs?

It shouldnt cost you too much and is easy to find.

20. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    Now KJ you can't go making posts like that while I'm waiting for my 410UL to arrive, I'll die of gas before it gets here!