Help! Epifani UL410 Series 1 problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kevbassman, Sep 6, 2010.

1. Hi Gang!

Just came back from an outdoor gig..........and I'm not happy. Was using my Genz Benz 1200 & Epi 410 cab.......and it sounded like crap. Hearing a distorting on the low frequencies. I pulled the speaker grill off, thinking lose screws, connections, tweeter, etc.

I guess I need a few answers........

A) When the tweeter is in the off position ...does this totally bypass the tweeter , even with the crossover?
    B) When I had the speaker grill off..........and pressed the bottom left cone in..........noise disappeared. Which sounds like a tossed speaker to me.
    I checked all connections, handles. lose screws etc.
    Also checked speak-on
    connections, checked with other amp....same thing......different cab......problem disappears.

Any suggestions?

Thanks! Never had a problem until today.

2. Virgil

Virgil She's My Inspiration

Nov 30, 2005
    Dresher, Pa.
    Had the same problem; the voice coil went in one of my speakers; had to replace it.

3. jza57

jza57 Supporting Member

Don't limit your focus to just the cabinet . I had the same problem and it ended up being the output jack on by bass ( Sadowsky RJ5). This is especially true if you have active electronics in you bass . Hope its minor.

4. bassguppy

bassguppy

Jan 8, 2003
    Queens
    possibly not the problem but will suggest pulling the potentially bad speaker and check and see if there is something making the sound between the cone and the frame(piece of wire, loose glue, wood chip).

5. Thanks everyone. It's sure sounds liek the voice coil. Mailing back to Nick (speaker only).
    He's already told me the replacement speaker is $172.00........so much for the warranty, huh? I told Nick that today. If he charges me that amount for the speaker, I'll not be happy.
    I've been playing many years.......I've never, ever blown a speaker.

This is a series 1 which had the B & Ci speakers in it. I know they altered them for Nick. I think he originally used Eminence, went to B & C for a few years, then back to Eminence.
    Man, I can't afford $200.00 right now! :(

6. Thanks....but I did that already.......check different amp, diff. bass, chords, speak-on's, etc. None of those.......it's the speaker...I really believe it's the voice coil...out of allignment.

PS..Play a passive Nordy Vj4 bass.....that I absoltely love!

7. And like Virgil stated......only one way to fix that......new speaker.

8. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    I had a similiar problem with a UL112 cab, and a quick call to Epifani solved the issue. I thought it was a speaker too, but it turned out to be some loose insulation in the cab.

9. I talked to Nick........he asked me evertything......and I said "Nick, already did that".
    He was very nice........but it all comes down to a warranty issue......I'm sending the driver back to him........we'll see what happens. I've been playing over 25+ years........and never "blown" a speaker.

10. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    Did he have you check INSIDE the back of the cab for any loose stuffing??

11. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member In Memoriam

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    You got a series one cab with a warranty? from epifani?
    are those pretty old by now?

12. mr.hughes

mr.hughes

Sep 12, 2005
    Ireland
    I had a UL112 Series 2 speaker die and there was no way I blew it. Happened to be in New York a month later for some shows so brought it over from Ireland (gotta love neo's - brought it on as hand luggage;) ). Nick was great - took the speaker apart, checked everything. Couldn't discern if I did it or it was the speakers fault so he gave me a reduced price. Still, in nearly 20 years of playing I have never blown a speaker or come close, so it didn't leave me too happy.

13. Chef, it is from date of purchase..not date made.
    I bought mine new from Pazera's Music (Scott) on 9/30/2007.

I love the cab...........it sounds great....just very frustrated. I guess speakers are like tires on a car........sometimes they go.

14. You sound like me. I'm sending the speaker back to Nick over the weekend. It sucks when this happens on a gig.

15. Yes...the insolation is fine.

I actually removed the speaker, checked....reinstalled the speaker........same distortion.....it's a voice coil.......even Nick hinted at that.

16. Steve Clark

Steve Clark

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    I've never blown a speaker either but after 3 years my warranty would be long expired wouldn't it? How long is an Epifani warranty? As for stuff breaking there is a first time for everything.

17. The warranty is 3 years from date of purchase. Cab was purchased on 9/30/07.

Totally understand about things happening.

18. WarwickDude68

WarwickDude68

May 31, 2010
    Northern CA
    I have a really interesting situation with one of my Epifani cabs too! One of the speakers in my 310 went out and had to be replaced. So I took it to my tech and we installed the new speaker. Now the cabinet has NO LOW END??? Does this make sense at all??? Can someone please make some suggestions? ALL the speakers move when I play, but all I hear are mids and highs. The signature lows of the cab are gone. I have no idea what the heck to do. :(

19. Bummer Kev. This happens a lot on outdoor gigs because we end up pushing our stuff a LOT harder. Sorry to hear, let us know what happens.
    Warwick: probably the replacement speaker is wired out-of-phase. Reverse the phase of the new speaker and see if that fixes it.

20. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    New speaker out of phase would be my guess here. Sure sounds like it to me from what you are describing.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021