help fast

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by warwickben, Sep 26, 2002.

1. is it a bad idea to take the wires from the pickup and conect them stright to the out put jack
  2. BoogieNight

Jun 15, 2001
    I think there's no problem. I have seen somebody (Anthony Jackson?) saying that it gives the purest sound...
  3. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    If you don't mind your bass being "on" all the time. If you have a volume pedal you could use that to control your volume or turn it off when you're not playing. Or perhaps you could wire an on/off switch in in place of a pot. A few people on the board have done this, maybe they'll chime in.
  4. This is kind of common with single pickup basses like the original P (non-split) pickup. The reason is, there is no loading (tone killing) of the passive pickup due to reduced impedance when volume and tone pots are present.

A pickup is a voltage output device. A very high input impedance (10 megohm) such as found in a good DI box or better quality bass amp, does not affect the tiny voltage generated by the pickup. Pots lower the circuit impedance substantially and this affects tone.

This loading effect gets much worse when two pickups and a blend pot is present. The solution is an active preamp such as the J-Retro that isolates each pickup on its own high impedance channel, so it never gets loaded down by the other pickup or circuitry. The difference is very audible.
  5. BoogieNight

Jun 15, 2001
    Suposing you have a jazz bass with 2 passive pickups and 2 volume pots. Does it make any difference if you use 1 vol and 1 blend instead? Thanks!
  6. now i get why my warwick bass with a jaz jaz setup is so damm quite.i have to ground my fretless(the bass i went from pickup to output jack)and it will be great.only problem i have now is if i want to turn my tone down. would a stomp eq work. all so if i decied to put a on off in can u just take one wire and have it go thew the switch or do u need both.

take in mind this isnt my only bass and it was a ****ty wasburn. i was stripping the paint and i couldnt get all the paint off the stripper was doing nothing. after 4 hours only the top was striped.i ened up setting it on fire .i only burnt the paint off i was making sure i didnt let it burn to much.i think it sounds so so much better.i can tell theres a diffence when its not pluged in. i rember reading in something thats the bass player from green day will burn a bass slightly and it dries it out better and when he puts it back togarther the next day it sounds better.