HELP! FENDER 1977 JAZZ BASS

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mjazzzz, May 11, 2020.

1. Mjazzzz

Mjazzzz

Apr 24, 2019
    Hello
    I really need help in this, a friendo of me offerme a 1977 fender jazz bass, but it weas restored, and I dont know If is original or not, for me looks ok but im not a expert
    Please HELP! IMG-20200309-WA0047.jpg IMG-20200309-WA0046.jpg IMG-20200309-WA0045.jpg IMG-20200309-WA0041.jpg IMG-20200511-WA0071.jpg IMG-20200309-WA0055.jpg

2. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    I'm no expert on these later 70's basses but it looks pretty legit to me.
    Have photos of:
    The end of the neck where the date could should be?
    Close up photo of the pots to check dates as well as the capacitor?
    Bottom of the pickups?

Also, I'm sure you noticed that the head of a Phillips bit was broken off in one of the neck attachment bolts which should be removable with a pair of Channel Locks.

DJ Bebop, HG1180, Mjazzzz and 2 others like this.
  3. That's what I was looking at too, think, "now that wouldn't be very comfortable to play like that" I'm no expert either but it looks like a mid to late 70's Jazz to me too.

Last edited: May 11, 2020
  4. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    There's no serial number on that bass. For me personally, that's a hard pass then and there. It seems to have been on the headstock which would put this bass at '76 or newer.

5. El Thumpo

El Thumpo Four strings, no waiting Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2006
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Yup. There are 21 1977 Fender Jazz basses currently listed on Reverb. All of them have serial numbers on the headstock.

I own one myself. This doesn't feel quite kosher to me.

6. It was restored, whoever did it may have just sanded off the serial number.

LBS-bass and Mjazzzz like this.
  7. If you like it, it plays and sounds good and you can get a reasonable deal on it I'd buy it, it should go for a little less because of the restoration, was it originally natural? But it does seem to have all the correct things for the year.

dkelley and Mjazzzz like this.
  8. Mjazzzz

Mjazzzz

Apr 24, 2019
    Thanks to everyone
    First, I supossed that it was a 77, but i'm searching for more information
    Maybe the number is in the end of the neck, i'll try to get those photos
    Please let me know what You thing about the year of the bass

9. Mjazzzz

Mjazzzz

Apr 24, 2019
    I am from Chile, I never seen a 70' jazz bass here, the price is 1000 usd, but If I can gget the serial number i will buy it

murphy and bobyoung53 like this.
  10. Jim C

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    I'm assuming that the serial number got sanded off at the refin and would think it must have been black at some point based on the paint residue in the pup cavities.

bobyoung53 likes this.
  11. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    With all due respect, no one in their right mind sands off a serial # during restoration. That type of action is usually performed for other reasons.

12. That doesn't seem like a bad price to me. I'm right next door to you now in Lima.

shojii likes this.
  13. Have you ever been to S America?:laugh: I bought an SVT head out here that someone had stuck 6L6's in.

Last edited: May 11, 2020
  14. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    No but a lack of serial on a stripped instrument would make me believe that there was an owner in the past who didn't willingly part with it.

15. Very likely. I bought an SVT head out here about 15 years ago with no serial number and 6L6's in it, I didn't realize until after I bought it that the serial number have been taken off. I still got it out here.

dkelley likes this.
  16. MIMike

MIMike

Jan 1, 2013
    West MI
    This is very true. If the serial number was sanded off, it was probably to conceal something.
    The rest of the logo looks potentially legit, as does the rest of the obviously refinished bass.
    It may be Fender, it may not. Most of the time if you buy a used a used Fender, there is a pretty good chance you can get your money back out of it if you decide to sell it. I wouldn’t count on that when you buy a “questionable” Fender.

Sixgunn and Jim C like this.
  17. FishDub

FishDub Stuck in the 80s and happy about it Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    +1..Who Th F would do that on a vintage Fender...

Rip Van Dan likes this.
  18. TinyE

TinyE

Jan 31, 2013
    portland,or
    why would they have sanded off the serial number, and not the fender logo? i'm guessing it's not real. though the body looks pretty legit, and the headstock looks pretty worn, i'm sure it's older, just not sure it's the real deal.
    also, according to "talkbass wisdom" the 70's fenders are hit and miss. even if it's real, it might be poopiee.

19. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    The neck looks like a real deal to me, although I wouldn't vouch for anything until I've seen the heel portion..

Obrad Lacarac likes this.
  20. Jim C

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Because people are idiots.
    I have a stock 1973 P bass in CAR with a maple neck.
    A PO sanded off the entire logo and replaced it with a 60's logo.
    The original finished had amber-ed and this really stands out and looks like crap.

I have to admit, the removal of the serial # is super questionable and something I didn't pay much attention to before.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021