Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help Fender Support Group!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stingus, Feb 2, 2004.

1. Recently went to the Twin Cities this weekend and spent some time in the Guitar Center. They had some Warwick Corvettes at very reasonable prices, so I played some.

Oh how beautiful!!! The neck is so luscious and full, and it felt so good! Balanced perfectly on my lap. I played for so long people wondered if I worked there! :D

I love my sunburst P Special with the adonized gold (brass) pickguard, I really do, but everything about that Warwick was so nice!

Fender lovers and Warwick haters! Help me get over this infatuation before I do something drastic :help: !

2. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Sorry, Warwick guy here.

Your Doomed.

3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Sell me the P, and get that Warwick!

4. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN

What Guitar Center did you go to? The one in Edina?

5. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN

Sorry to hi-jack but the only GC i know of in Minnesota is in Roseville. It is on 36 and Snelling. Where is the one in Edna?

6. Actually, I went to Roseville also. I think the other one was Edina...Slight North and to the west of the Mall of America...

They both had Warwicks at heartbreakingly low prices.

The one that I think was Edina had a 78 Precision fretless and in a special room, a 1959 Strat that was just beautiful...

L

7. metalbass101

metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004
    fender is good and all, but in this day and age you cant argue the facts;the p bass is a representation of a classic that had all the hot features- back then.Now youve come across something better and new. I mean just for instance,active electronis,carbon nut(instead of just plastic),hard exotic woods.Everything about that warwick is better than the P bass.Dont kid yourself,just take her,give in.I mean even so much as the way the tuners look and are possitioned is supeirior to that P bass.Its like going into a war with a choice;
    a m16 machine gun,or a bow and arrow.what would you choose?

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    sure because TONE doesnt mean anything.

but the warwick is indeed nice.

9. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    Can you guys just walk in to GC and start playing anything at anytime?

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    You cant?

11. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    You have ask at the stores I go to. Theres these little signs that say "Ask before playing" all over the place. And I go To two store.

12. appler

appler Guest

Wow, dude. The only reason I ever go to Guitar Center is because I can play all the fancy basses without asking. :D

Almost forgot to reply to the post. ;o)
    Just listen to some good old funky music. Fender Precision at its best. Check out the Meters and some old Sly and the Family Stone or something.

13. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    GC = play anything you want anytime = lots of trying to hear a bass over a half-dozen 12-year olds eking out Sandman and Teen Spirit. (ironic how those songs, now 13 years old, are still the ones for fresh teens)

And weird enough, although you have to ask at Chuck Levin's, there's still plenty of wanking to contend with anyways. So that sucks. Big stores equal lots of noise.

Anyways, back on topic. Stingus, meet the Corvette: It's not a matter of this sucks or that sucks, the corvette's tone is just plain different. Playing a corvette fretless made me a Warwick believer, and I was a hater. You, my friend, sound like you need both Warwick *and* Fender tones. =0)

14. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I've fallen in love with the neck and the tone of Warwick's before, but they all have that dumb upper horn that just hurts to play sitting. I'm not a big guy and when I bend over a bass to noodle, I don't want it poking me in the ribs. I'm a Stingray/Precision bass guy, and so far, I don't own a single Warwick. Some look alright, but the rest are just FUGLY! A friend of mine does have a sweet Warwick Fortress Masterman though.

Though, I have to admit, I'm constantly gassing for a Streamer. What can I say, Spector Ripoffs are sweet!

15. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Just buy the Warwick and keep the P. Problem solved. :p

16. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    You guys are lucky. But the wrost part is I listin to American Radio cause I live really close to Detroit City and I alway here the deals GC has. "Up to 70% off all fender, Gibsons, Ibenez Guitars. 70% off all Bass Guitars....." Then I start to cry

17. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Interesting analogy, except no one's going into battle with bass (well maybe Sid Vicious ;)). All sorts of musicians use ancient equipment. Forget about the 50 year-old technology of the P-Bass, go ask some of the double-bass guys what they drool over, I'll bet you a fair amount was made before the 20th century. Does that mean new=bad? No. It just means that you have to select the right tool for the job. There are jobs that need a passive thumpy ol' P-Bass, and there are others that need that trademark Warwick growl.

18. I know what you mean. Our sports/talk radio station has GC as regular sponsor, even though the closest GC is 300 mi away.

To address your other concern, it's all about how you look and how you approach the store. Plus it helps if you're a little older and act like you know what you're doing. That's always worked for me

19. Don't sell your P. It's the ultimate plug and play with never a bad tone. Solid and reliable p with the fat thump, oodles of punch, solid solid solid, but if you like the warwick better than go for it, I wouldn't, but I own a vintage p. If you have a newer p than go for it, but if it's a good vintage don't do it.

20. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Get the warwick and keep the p... I am a Lakland fan with a couple of fender j's... and now I am back in the jones for a Warwick. I had a corvette standard fretless, and always regretted getting rid of it. So get the new bass! You will feel better...

P@