Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help Filing saddles

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bassplayingfool, Sep 16, 2004.

1. Okay, From reading several posts on here, ive realized that i need my saddles filed. How do i go about doin this? Do I need special tools, or should I have someone else do it?

2. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    What kind of bridge/bass is it? You'll need a couple of good metal files and elbow grease, but there's different ways to do it depending on the type of bridge. Are you looking to get a lower string action in general?

The files aren't special tools, but if you're not comfortable doing this sort of thing, it's best left to a pro.

3. Its the one that came with a Ibanez Soundgear 6 string, SR406 to be exact. Got it used so I dont know what kind it is and I can't find hardly any info on that particular bass now

4. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    From what I can see on the www, that bass has saddles with flat bottoms. The other type is a saddle with a round profile like Fender bridges have.

I'm assuming you want to remove some metal from the bottom of the saddles in order to get a lower action than the bridge lets you get now.

For this stuff, you have to take the bridge apart, take all the screws and hardware off the saddles, and do each saddle individually. Usually, the higher string's saddles are the ones that need the most metal removed.

I've done this before with a metal file about an inch wide and slowly removing the material and checking often to see if I was getting the result I wanted. If you take too much off, you can't put it back. Read that once more again with feeling :)

For flat-bottomed saddles I've also used a belt sander which gives a uniform and consistent result. It's best to use gloves when doing it this way because the saddles get very hot.

As always, if this seems to be a little intimidating, go to someone who is more comfortable doing it such as your local luthier.

5. Hey thanks for the help. By the way nice birthday. Woohoo for 02/15'ers

6. Great Thread, Guys!

I'm about to embark on a very similar endeavor (I need to get about 2mm out of two of my 4 saddles) and I had very similar ideas of what to do.

By the way, do you think Wishnevsky will be terribly upset that I am replacing his corian bridge system with a more conventional one? ;)