help finding 80's squire MIJ's

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by furiously funky, Nov 16, 2004.

1. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    are there any on line retailers or better yet, places in Toronto that would relatively consistently have 80's squire basses? Id like to pick one up (opinions on this idea are also welcome)
    what would i expect to pay for a stock J bass are there any issues i should know about with these?
  2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Were any Squiers ever made in Japan?
  3. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Yeah, in the early 80s, the JV series. They're actually good basses, but they're overpriced. I saw a Jazz go for almost $800 on Ebay a few weeks ago, and now the same bass is back on Ebay.

$800 is way too much for a Squier. The MIJ/CIJ RIs are as good for much less money, as are many of the MIM "Classic" basses, let alone the current Fender Japan basses.
  4. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I owned an early 1980s Japanese Squier Jazz. They were very decent. Not quite the quality of a Japanese Fender though.
  5. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    understood that they are not a fender, im just looking to own a j bass (something i dont have now) just something cheep. a better question :
    complete this sentence- If I could find a MIJ Jazz bass for ____ dollars, i would be a smart buyer

thanks again for the help
  6. rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    Marty I'm from T.O. as well, and just bought 1982 Fender JV Squire Bass. Well it will be shipped to me tomorrow or on Friday. These basses are the sleepers - almost impossible to find, because some sound better then USA made. My bass teacher (Will Jarvos) has one, he put in EMG pups in it, it's the best sounding bass i ever heard, that's why I started to look for one and quickly learned that it's almost impossible to find one, simply because they are so good - no one wants to get rid of it. I also talked to a guy from Japan who sells a lot of Fender stuff, he told me he only had one of these for sale and it went for $1500 US very quickly. Once it's here my 2001 USA Jazz will be for sale.

For more info on JV series go here:
  7. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    hey, i was talking to will Jarvos about them yesterday. do you go to humber? hes why i wanted one his is awsome. hes has a badass bridge and a hipshot d-tuner on it as well.
    where did you find your squire? was it an ebay find?
    let me know if you go to humber.
  8. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I have a MIJ Squier Jazz, bought new in the 80's. IMHO the quality is as good as any MIJ Fender I've played. I did replace pups, electronics, some hardware, so if those parts were of lesser quality I've long since forgotten. I bought the thing because it felt/played better than any of the American Fenders at the music store - I wasn't even in the market for a bass when I stumbled across it. Having been my main bass for years and years, it remains among my most treasured possessions. :bassist:
  9. rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    Marty - no Humber, private lessons. Yeah he bought his in 82, so he had a chance to addition it - not all of the 82-84 Squires are killer players. Plus don't forget Will has been playing his JV non stop for 20 years, so it's got a vibe. Well anything in his hands actually has vibe. You should hear their band "Hot Foot", he uses a Lakland 5 stringer with that band - they're smoking, I can't believe they play in small clubs with so many talented musicians. I found mine on Ebay and snatched it right away. The guy almost never played it so it's a closet classic, but he says it's a killer player. We'll see when it's here, plus I'll definitely meet up with Will to compare the two basses. If you want a JV P-Bass I had an email form a guy who was selling his for around $800 -$900 US, you could add a bridge Jazz pup to it and have decent bass. I'll probably overhaul mine too, with different pups, bridge and tuners - might even do a string thru body bridge.

P.S. I found another 83 JV Squire Jazz in England, but the salesman was so decent and told me it has neck problem and sounds bad at a 12 fret, if you still want to follow up on that let me know and I'll send you the info. He wanted about $1000 US for it.
  10. Dadio

Dec 30, 2000
    Uxbridge, Canada
    I found an 83 JV P-Bass in a Music Store in Charlottetown PEI in 2000, New Old-Stock, still had the tags !. The store was just bought by new owners and the prev owner had a cache of old Fender stuff in the basement storeroom. I got mine for $500, taxes-in there were also some "new" 78 Jazz basses there but they were leftys. I havent seen any around the GTA but you may want to check the Pawn shops downtown or Songbird Music ....
  11. obi 2 kenobi

obi 2 kenobi

Oct 22, 2004
    I also have a JV jazz I bought in '84. Defretted, EMG's added and cool respray (blue / white sunburst) done in mid 80's.

Still have it - superb bass.

At the time I started playing in '82, a lot of musicians (at least in UK) were replacing American Fenders with the first generation (JV) of Squiers.
    Then Fender USA had quality issues plus their basses were significantly heavier than the Squiers. Prices of 70s Fenders dropped. I replaced my first bass (a second hand '74 precision with an '83 Squier precision with the Fender logo before trading up to the '84 jazz).
  12. rubo

Aug 25, 2003
  13. bino

bino Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County in Pennsylvania. They always seem to have at least one in their inventory.
  14. rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    They mostly have MIA Reissues,not MIJ.

15. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    MIJ squiers from the 80s are very nice. Hidden treasure IMO.
  16. fcoda

Jan 23, 2002
  17. peterjc

Nov 3, 2004
    my first bass was a jv squier jazz-bass. I don't think they are overpriced because they where extremely good copies of the pre-cbs basses .at one point i owned a 63 jazz and a squier and to be honest there wasn't much difference.I still regret that i sold my squier and I doubt it if I can find a 70 jazz that is as good as that squier was.
  18. I used to have one and the neck went bad. It was OK, but not great. Definitely not better than a MIM today. IMHO paying $1,000 for one that you have never seen/felt before is just nuts. Go and play 50 MIM and you’ll find at least one that’s a really good one. If you are lucky you’ll find it in a pawn shop and get it for less than $200. Gives you plenty of cash to upgrade.
  19. kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    Good buy too, with the Baselines p/us and Schaller bridge!
  20. rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    I don't think any of the current MIM would compare. First off all these are 20 year old instruments, so the wood is already dry and aged - manning if the neck went bad then it would have happened faster then after 20 years. Secondly these were assembled in Japan, but the parts were made in USA, so quality control is much better. The fact that they were only made for two years, makes it rare and expensive, if you can find one.