1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help finding a bass cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by The Celestials, Jun 4, 2014.

1. The Celestials

The Celestials

Jul 1, 2013
    Delaware
    Hello!

I haven't been playing bass for long, I recently switched about a year ago from guitar. And I have a bass but I still haven't gotten a bass amp. I've been using guitar amps and cutting all the bass from the eq.

:rollno:

So today I went over to play with some jam-mates, and I brought along my Vox AC4TV, which is a 4-Watt all tube guitar amp. Fun little guy. It really doesn't sound good, but it works for me. I do this desert or blues(<--barely) rock kinda stuff. I've been using guitars with it for a few years, using felt picks to furter smooth it out, and give it a really cool Big Muff style slow attack. Anyways, that Vox was cranked, EVERYTHING dimed, plugged into a Marshall 1960 cab with my bass. And it sounded legendary imo. Of course, I didn't have any real bass frequencies workin' it, because I don't want to fry an amp that isn't mine.

So my question is, can I run my Vox AC4TV into a bass cab without damaging the AMP, not the speakers? And the amp only has a 16-ohm output, so is it true an 8-ohm wired in series cab will work? And do 16-ohm bass cabs exist?

And will it sound good?

-Me

2. Hit CL and buy something used of your own.

Plucky The Bassist likes this.
  3. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2008
    Running a tube amp into half its rated impedance isn't generally harmful to the amp, but it won't sound quite the same. Especially if you're also moving from guitar speakers to full-range bass drivers.

4. +1

5. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Once you play with a proper bass amp, I have a feeling you'll say "Dang! Wish I would have done this before!!"

You're missing out on all the magical frequencies that make bass so awesome :)

adi77 and Remyd like this.
  6. Schwarzebasser

Schwarzebasser

May 14, 2014
    Agree with the above posters. If you are short on cash I would unload the ac4tv on cl for a bass amp. Maybe gk mb200, markbass black line 250, or a tc bh250 should all be even trades assuming you are buying a cab to go with it

7. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    The other thing guitar players frequently don't get right away about bass rigs is that you really do need a lot of speakers and a lot of watts. You could probably play guitar in just about any band with 50w and a 12" speaker. Not so with bass. Some might get away with 200w and a 15", but most folks eventually feel the need for more. That is, if you're playing in anything like a standard rock ensemble. Just last weekend I was playing an outdoor gig with a full PA and stage monitoring. I brought 500w, a 2x12 cab and a 2x10 cab on top of it. Bottom line is, I ended up needing all of it.

I would get 500w. I would get a pair of matching 8Ohm speaker cabinets. 12s or 15s or 2x10s or something. That way you can use just one for a small venue and stack them up for the larger ones. (Bonus: leave one at rehearsal and keep the other one at home for practice!)

Above all, if budget is at all a concern I would definitely buy used.