help finding a double input cable

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Nirvana4ever, Oct 7, 2005.

1. Nirvana4ever

Aug 2, 2005
    Do you know how or where I can get a chord that has one of those double inputs at the end of it. They allow you to play to guitars on one amp if the amp does not have two inputs. I am not sure where to find any. Does anyone have links or advice?
  2. Radio shack
    Cat # 274-892
    it's a plug, but does what you want, 2 x mono female to 1 x mono male, you'll just need two instrument cables and will need to be careful not to snap it off in your amps input jack.
  3. Technically I think connecting 2 signal sources with just a Y connector is not a good idea. There needs to be resistors merging the signals, not connecting them directly together with a jack.

The signal voltages and currents will fight each other. Impedance loading problems, etc. With a low powered signal like bass guitars, it won't damage anything. But neither bass ought to sound like it does when plugged into a proper impedance independant jack.

Those Y cables are more for splitting one signal source into 2 inputs.

4. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    God probably told him to do it.
  5. Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    +1 for Randy/Steveksux.

Google "Why not Wye", look for Rane.

It's not quite so bad with passive bass's, but it still not good.
  6. That's why we use BDDI(bypassing the preamp or not) or similar, isn't?

Or maybe you can get the JazzAd's favourite pedal:

I might do the trick.
  7. why not just get yourself a cheapo mixer?

I could build one for about $15 in electronic parts...but I have no need at the moment.

it is a good idea to have inputs from various gear using a wye cable, you are essentially paralleling the two instruments...NOT a good idea for anything other than passive instruments.
  8. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    If you want multiple instruments into a single amp, might I suggest you find a Raven Labs MBD-1 on theused market. It allows three inputs - each with a separate volume - mixed into a single output. Each input also has a mute button.

I mix a passive P/J 4-string, an active 5-string, and a passive Azola EUB into my Eden WT-800 without any noticable volume change. I also utilize it's line out feature and send direct to the house mixing console.

There was one here in the TB For Sale section within the past two weeks.