Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help finding a Mu-Tron Octave Divider...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by KPO2000, Oct 30, 2002.

1. KPO2000

KPO2000 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2001
    MA
    Anyone know where I can find one of these gems? Please PM/email. Thanks!

2. They are very hard to find, I found one on e-bay once but that was sold rather quickly. If you'de like try out the EH Octave, it sounds very simular.

3. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

I haven't tried the Mutron Octave Divider, but I use the EH Octave Multiplexor that Bigfeet mentioned. I love that thing. It has the thickest, meatiest octave sound I have ever heard. Very much like an old Moog-type analog synth.

4. I will also give a thumbs up to the E-H...I like the high and low filters,makes the pedal a little more versatile than some of the others out there now...but good luck on your hunt for the mu-tron.

5. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    Virginia
    here is one on ebay

Link

6. KPO2000

Sep 5, 2001
    MA
    Thanks, everyone. I saw that one on ebay, but am wondering if I can find a cleaner one for about the same money or little more. Also, not clear on why those front screws are missing.

I've owned two of these things before: one that was scratched up like the one on Ebay which I sold when I got an under the bed (NOS) unit with box and manual. I sold the NOS one to a collector in Japan for an outrageous price because I was afraid to use it---too clean! Doh! :) In hindsight, I should have kept the first one.

I've got a Pearl Octave box now that covers a 4 octave range, but I miss my old Mu-Tron. (I've got a soft spot for those old indestructible boxes.) I need to check out the EH too. Thanks for the recommendation.

Still searching...patiently.

Cheers,
    Ken

7. get a beater that sounds stellar. That way you won't have to stress about it. You want a working piece a gear or a museum piece?

8. KPO2000

Sep 5, 2001
    MA
    Yup. That's the way to go. At that time, though I just had too many pedals--literally ALL the Mu-Trons (except for the Digital Delay and the Beigel Sound Lab envelope filter). You could say that at the time, I was collecting more than I was playing and couldn't justify having two, so I sold the beater.

How much should I expect to pay for a beater? I think $300 is about average...not a real great price.

Ken

9. $300 does seem like allot but if you feel the sound to be distinctive enough? What was it about the 'Tron that set it apart from modern/better tracking octavers?
    Also, having owned as many Mutron products as you say, could you tell me of the differences you ever noticed between Mutron III models? I know there are variations and just wondered about your experiance.

10. KPO2000

Sep 5, 2001
    MA
    I like the Mu-Tron Octave primarily because of the bass only and ringer controls. I think they sound cool and are quirky. I like that. I have the Akai Deep Impact which probably does a better job tracking, but I like the Mu-tron for what it is.

As far as III's go. I've had 3: two black knobbed early ones and now a very clean AC powered one. I can't say how different they sounded from each other because their stays with me didn't overlap very long. I will say their differences are subtle.

Sorry, I don't have more to tell you about the differences.