1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help finding a Mu-Tron Octave Divider...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by KPO2000, Oct 30, 2002.

1. KPO2000

KPO2000 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2001
    MA
    Anyone know where I can find one of these gems? Please PM/email. Thanks!

2. They are very hard to find, I found one on e-bay once but that was sold rather quickly. If you'de like try out the EH Octave, it sounds very simular.

3. BFunk

BFunk Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I haven't tried the Mutron Octave Divider, but I use the EH Octave Multiplexor that Bigfeet mentioned. I love that thing. It has the thickest, meatiest octave sound I have ever heard. Very much like an old Moog-type analog synth.

4. I will also give a thumbs up to the E-H...I like the high and low filters,makes the pedal a little more versatile than some of the others out there now...but good luck on your hunt for the mu-tron.

5. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    Virginia
    here is one on ebay

Link

6. KPO2000

Sep 5, 2001
    MA
    Thanks, everyone. I saw that one on ebay, but am wondering if I can find a cleaner one for about the same money or little more. Also, not clear on why those front screws are missing.

I've owned two of these things before: one that was scratched up like the one on Ebay which I sold when I got an under the bed (NOS) unit with box and manual. I sold the NOS one to a collector in Japan for an outrageous price because I was afraid to use it---too clean! Doh! :) In hindsight, I should have kept the first one.

I've got a Pearl Octave box now that covers a 4 octave range, but I miss my old Mu-Tron. (I've got a soft spot for those old indestructible boxes.) I need to check out the EH too. Thanks for the recommendation.

Still searching...patiently.

Cheers,
    Ken

7. get a beater that sounds stellar. That way you won't have to stress about it. You want a working piece a gear or a museum piece?

8. KPO2000

Sep 5, 2001
    MA
    Yup. That's the way to go. At that time, though I just had too many pedals--literally ALL the Mu-Trons (except for the Digital Delay and the Beigel Sound Lab envelope filter). You could say that at the time, I was collecting more than I was playing and couldn't justify having two, so I sold the beater.

How much should I expect to pay for a beater? I think $300 is about average...not a real great price.

Ken

9. $300 does seem like allot but if you feel the sound to be distinctive enough? What was it about the 'Tron that set it apart from modern/better tracking octavers?
    Also, having owned as many Mutron products as you say, could you tell me of the differences you ever noticed between Mutron III models? I know there are variations and just wondered about your experiance.

10. KPO2000

Sep 5, 2001
    MA
    I like the Mu-Tron Octave primarily because of the bass only and ringer controls. I think they sound cool and are quirky. I like that. I have the Akai Deep Impact which probably does a better job tracking, but I like the Mu-tron for what it is.

As far as III's go. I've had 3: two black knobbed early ones and now a very clean AC powered one. I can't say how different they sounded from each other because their stays with me didn't overlap very long. I will say their differences are subtle.

Sorry, I don't have more to tell you about the differences.