Help finding a nut for a Cort P-Bass

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by bobbykokinos, Nov 3, 2011.

1. So, I have a project Cort P-Bass I'm working on and I can't find a nut for it. All of the nuts I am finding online are for necks that are slotted. This nut goes on the end of the fretboard. Where can I find one?? Picture is below:

2usv8xx.jpg

2. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    Not to be a jerk here, but why not just cut your own?

3. Would love to see if I can find one precut as I don't have all of the right tools to do it..

If I need to, I will.

4. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Pm me the dimensions(H x W x L in inches) I probably have a Tusq or graphite nut for it,

5. If anyone is interested, here she is finally put back together.

eg7i8g.jpg

Thanks to Musiclogic for the nut!! Worked great..

She still needs some tweaking but it playing really well. Just some background info: this bass was given to me nearly 20 years ago and is the instrument that got me started as a bassist. Monetarily, I know its not worth much. But, putting it back into my hands really brought back some great memories!!

Only one issue I was hoping you guys can help me with. The E, D, and G strings play fine.. But, when you pluck the A string, it generates a weird metallic buzz unless you put very little pressure on the string between the nut and the tuner. Any ideas what this could be?

6. Musiclogic

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Hey Bobby, glad it worked out well, you may need to angle the slot on the A at the back of the nut down more if the string is resting fully in the slot. Does this occur when you fret the string in the 1st - 5th position?

7. Only happens when plucking it open.

8. Musiclogic

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    sounds like the slot angle needs to be increased unless it's a truss rod buzz. see if you angle the slot on a steeper angle toward the headstock, should not take a whole lot

9. Try rewinding the A string lower on the post. This is a common 'Fender' headstock issue. Not enough downward pressure allows the string to rattle in the slot.

10. I think thats what the was. The string I had on there wasn't very long.. Put a new one on that was a bit longer and wound further down the post.. Buzz is all gone..

11. herndonbassist

herndonbassist Low Down Thumper

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    Hey this is awesome! I love the fact that this is your old bass brought back to life with a little elbow-grease! Keep playing that thang!

12. Musiclogic

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Yeah Bobby, it's a great thing to have a tangible memory you can make music with, That is the ultimate good vibe.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 16, 2021