Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HELP! finding a recording

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Ed Fuqua, May 24, 2005.

1. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I'm trying to help some friends run down a copy of a recording called GOLD BRAID - Dardanell (piano/vibes), Tal Farlow (guitar) and Paul Edenfield (bass).

I don't think it was ever re issued on CD, but if anybody can help, it would be great.

2. The only player I recognize on the date is, of course, Tal.
    The Dardanell person sounds fascinating and I don't recognize the bassist. Who else have these people played with?
    Knowing you, you've probably tried all the obvious stuff like Google, etc.
    Off Topic, but, while I have your attention, I think I remember you saying, somewhere along the way,....You remember that tune?, that you had that Jimmy Raney & Sonny Clark/Together! With Red Mitchell and Bobby White.
    Well, a DJ friend of mine down in Dallas sent that to me, knowing my love for Red and especially old Red.
    This was made in 1954 during a package concert trip to Europe. Jimmy and Red were working with Red Norvo, and Red, besides this band, was also with Billy Holiday. I imagine Jimmy and Sonny were also playing with Lady on this tour. I would've loved to have heard some of that combination!
    Anyway, they do a very long, very sweet feature of Red doing You Go To My Head. Red, in 1954, like all of us, was using gut strings with mile high bridge height ( how's that Arnold?) Even with all that and his young age to boot, he was still way ahead of the pack in terms of soloing. They do the tune in the standard Eb, but Red, being Red, does the obligatory obligato ending and then lands on the open E string but to my shock and surprise, he tunes down to the low Eb tonic.....shades of things to come...five strings with the low B and then fifths with low C.
    Man, i'm sorry for the rant...couldn't help it.
    I will be checking around for the Dardanell thing because it sounds very interesting!

3. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Yeah that's been re-released as JIMMY RANEY IN PARIS V 1 & 2.
    And yes, Red sounds GREAT!