Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help finding a stacked knob for an OBP-3

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Copycat, Aug 8, 2003.

1. Copycat

Copycat Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    I'm really screwed. I waited and waited to order an Aguilar OBP-3 because I was told they were coming out with a new stacked concentric pot that would make it easier to find knobs. So when I was told the pot was available, I placed the order, requesting the new pot. The preamp arrived. Me, not knowing the difference between a CTS pot and a crockpot, ran the whole shebang over to the tech who was doing the work. I also left a black concentric knob set with him, thinking I had the new pot and that the knob set would fit. Well, Aguilar, it seems, sent me the old long shaft CTS concentric pot by mistake. It's in my bass. I've already sent the black knob set back, thinking it and not the pot was the problem (not knowing that I had the old and not the new pot in the bass). Long story short, I'm up the proverbial creek. I don't want to pay to have yet more wiring work done, nor should I when this wasn't my fault. The old Aguilar pot is sticking out of the bass like a javelin. And I have NO IDEA where I can find a black concentric knob set to fit this enormous thing. Can anybody help me? Please? Aguilar's offered to send me the new pot, but as I said, I just paid to send the black knob set back. I don't want to pay to have more work done. And I'd have to go and rebuy the knobs I just returned. Any information from those who've had this problem would be greatly appreciated.

2. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    Just pay to have the new pot sent to you and installed. Really, it shouldn't cost more than 50 bucks. Worst case scenario, tell Aguilar to send you the pot for free (and shipped free) because of their mistake. Even if it does cost you 50 bucks more, what's the big deal? 50 bucks? 100 bucks? It's a dinner out. So what?
    It's not the fault of the guy who's doing the install for you. It's Aguilar's. THEY sent YOU the wrong pot. You might want to include a copy of the invoice for wiring, and send your bass to Aguilar. Have THEM do the install. Tell them you'll pay for shipping, ONE WAY, since they sent you the wrong pot. That's financially equitable. If I ran their shop, that would be no problem....it's part of doing business. (Of course, I'd find out who sent you the wrong pot in the first place.)
    But really, unless it's an Ibanez or other offshore budget brand, just step up and pay to have it done. Isn't it worth it to get what you want? It's just money. Really.

3. Copycat

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    Well, actually, after $80 for the pickup and $130 for the preamp and $20 for a couple of very cool Q-Parts knobs and $175 for the work that was done originally and some miscellaneous costs like a battery box and other details, um, another $50 is something I'd rather not get into at the moment. Especially because I'm self employed. An advertising copywriter. Hence the user name. And since in a bad economy advertising is the first thing to go and the last thing to come back, I would much rather find a $12 knob that would work with what's now in the bass than spend another $50 to have it all redone. And while I'm not sure where the fault lies (these things happen, after all) of course it's not the tech's fault. I never indicated that nor implied it. If I did, I'm sorry. I took him the stuff. He put it in. Did the wiring. Did the routing. Did a nice job. I just know that others here have had complaints about and problems with the old Aguilar pots, so now that I gots me one, I thought somebody might know where to find a knob set to fit it. Glad you're doing so well in this economy, by the way. Work for Halleburton, do you?

4. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    Sorry to sound like a bunghole....I just deal with a lot of people in my industry that have a nickle-and-dime mentality...(No, not Halleburton....I have a hefty residual income from a business that I built. I live on the overrides.)
    Anyway, Carey Nordstrand had the same issue trying to find pots that were of a certain value, size, etc. He might know of a source if the Ag thing doesn't work out. He also is a fantastic electronics guy. He can get it right for sure and not abuse you in the process. Give him a shout at www.nordstrandguitars.com. Sounds like your tech is padding his 201K (in this economy) with the 175$ for wiring. Sounds steep. Talk to Carey...he might even be willing to walk you through the install over the phone (if you put in an order for a singlecut at the same time);)
    Seriously, he's he's a great guy, talented builder, and very understanding! He'll help you!

5. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I believe Warmoth sells knobs that fit the Aguilar pots. If I'm not mistaken, the Aggie's are to thin, right? Anyway, check their site out, because I remember when I was looking at an Aggie replacement pre, I was told that I would be up against this dilema as well.

6. Copycat

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    To Jacochops, thanks much. Same to you Halftooth. Actually, this is a very large diameter pot. I just realized that a push on knob will work on the top. It's finding the bottom control or outer ring that's now the problem. With the top push on knob down all the way on the top split shaft, there's only about 1/4" of air under it, and most lower/outer knobs are going to be higher than that. So I think what I may wind up doing is just getting a standard black concentric knob set and having the holes drilled out larger. As far as the costs on my project go, the $175 was for routing two new holes in the body of the bass (one for the damnable pot in question and the other for a mini toggle for the midrange), doing the rout for and installing the battery box, doing the whole new wiring deal, removing the stock pickup and putting in a Bart and doing a setup. So while I had hoped it would come in a bit lower, it most assuredly was a lot of work. The whole thing's just ironic, because I waited weeks for the new Aguilar pots to be available, held off on ordering and wound up with the old problematic pot anyway.

7. I have done a mod twice to get around this problem, I put an OBP-3 in two Jazz Basses, and here's what I did. WD Music products sells a stacked concentric 500k pot that has hole diameters that are very close to what the Agui pots need. I added a piece of small copper tubing to the top knob, the bottom one fit fine, so, in the end, it works alot like Q-parts' 6mm/.25" conversion pots.

Hope it helps.

8. Copycat

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    Thanks. It does help. Let me make sure I'm clear, though. You're saying that WD Music Products sells a concentric knob set that fits their 500k pot, which has similar shaft diameters to the Aguilar pot, and that you got the WD Music Products knob and then created the little bushing out of copper tubing? If that's what you're telling me, that's great, because the bottom knob is the real killer to find at this stage, and if that WD one fits like a champ, my dilemma is solved. Appreciate it. I'd really rather do what you're suggesting, make the top hole smaller on an existing knob by way of a bushing addition, than have to drill out both the top and bottom holes on a more readily available concentric knob set with holes that are too small. Good deal. Please confirm my interpretation of your earlier email and I'll be off to WD Music products to investigate. And order. Yahooooooo.

9. Copycat

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    Here goes with another installment of As The Knob Turns. But this is good news. Turns out Aguilar DID send me the new pot. So they did nada wrong. Here's why I was mystified about knob sets, though: their new pot is EMG style. So if anyone gets the Aguilar OBP-3 in the SK configuration (with the stacked bass/treble pot), you just have to get a concentric knob set made for an EMG pot. I don't have an EMG pickup, which is why I was confused. And when the other stock aftermarket knob set didn't fit, I just assumed I received the old, outdated and troublesome pot. But that's the story. Hope this helps someone else who is having difficulty finding the concentric knob set to fit this. Allparts has 'em. So probably do a lot of other places. Another big thank-you goes out to "detective" Tony Cimperman at Planet Bass who did some sleuthing and got me on the right track. And Larry at WD Music Products is a champ as well. Appreciate all the help I received here, too.