Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help finding Amp.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sanitarium, Oct 21, 2005.

1. Hey guys. I just recently joined a band, but have been unable to play and/or practice with them, because they have big marshall and Peavey amps. I currently have a 15w Crate amp, so that won't do me much good. I've been searching around on eBay for some amps because I don't have much money, and found this.
    Now, I have no idea who Johnson is, if this amp is good or not, and if I'm being an idiot for even considering it. I have a budget of about 100-300 dollars(not enough, I know) so if anyone could possibly help me out with an amp choice, or tell me if the Johnson was any good, that'd be great. Thanks!

2. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    I wouldn't trust it. It really looks shifty.

3. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    I had a johnson jazz bass that came with a johnson practice amp when I first started. The johnson amps are complete crap. It starts rumbling and distorting when it hits 9 oclock.

Now this is a really kickass combo in your price range. Well maybe a little over. It's $319
    [​IMG]

http://www.music123.com/Ashdown-Electric-Blue-180-12-i114374.music

4. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
  5. That Yorkville looks good, are they generally good amps?(I don't know much about amps)

6. deanthemachine

deanthemachine

May 3, 2005
    My first bass amp was a Yorkville bassmaster 100. The sound is nothing special, but it has been solid and dependable. At 9or10 it starts to distort, but with a 200 watt version you shouldnt have any troubles.

7. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    Yorkville combos, from my experience, are fairly neutral with sound, so it helps to have a nice sounding bass guitar. with the "enhance" knob or whatever they call it that can scoop the mids a bit for slap or toning down the mids.

so what am I saying? for a HIGH QUALITY/mostly uncolored amplified version of your guitars sound WITH ALOT OF VOLUME FOR YOUR DOLLAR get this amp...MY OPINION

8. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    If you need volume, I'd look at a used Peavey combo.