Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help finding Chemicals

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ARA punk, Jan 31, 2003.

1. ARA punk

ARA punk

Jul 11, 2001
    USA, Shelby, NC
    I'm looking for chemicals to do some home experiments. I'm looking for a place to purchase 'pure' elements. I'm trying to find blocks of pure potassium, sodium, lithium... things like that. I can never find pure elements. All i can do is find compounds of the elements. Any chemistry people here that know where i could get some? thanks alot.

(these are not for miss-use. I'm doing actual experiments here in a safe environment)

2. OK...BE READY TO GET SERIOUSLY MESSED WITH IF YOU DON'T HAVE A polycarbonate can with an argon atmosphere coated with teflon....I am a senior Chem major at Cornell, and I have worked with these metals before. I really think you should consider a different set of elements here.

The alkali metals MUST BE STORED IN HEXANE, HEPTANE, OR THE LIKE. They decompose READILY with air.

Some other stuff you should know:YOU CANNOT TOUCH ANY OF THEM WITHOUT VERY THICK GLOVES. Why? Because they are so reactive they will eat away at the water on your skin and react.

Reactivities in large water tank with plentiful Oxygen supply
    Lithium: Very mild reactivity; you dump it in a vat of water and it pulls a "Alka-Seltzer."

Sodium: Fizzes quite a bit more, will actually move QUITE FAST around the tank of water; kinda like a jetski. Gets quite hot upon addition of water.

Potassium: Starts to get dangerous here. Spins around the tank VERY QUICKLY; will occasionally make "popping" noices and will literally jump into the air, and has a VERYhigh flammability risk.

Rubidium: Hard to get. GOOD. Is barely in the tank before it fizzes INTENSELY, JUMPS INSANELY HIGH UP, and when it lands, it catches heavy fire and will generally explode at some point. Not a mild one either.

Cesium: not even going to bother to tell you what this stuff does, other than this: GET THE HECK OUT OF THE ROOM. IN FACT, GET OUT OF THE HOUSE.

Francium: Thankfully, for all intents and purposes this element only exists on paper. Or else there would be LOTS OF HIGHLY RADIOACTIVE MATERIAL ANYWHERE WITHIN 67 METERS OF A WATER POOL. It is like a baby atomic bomb, set off by water.

I really am not joking here. These aren't simple toys you are playing with here. Lithium I encourage you to try, but still take precautions. Don't, in your wildest dreams, think of trying Cesium. OK? I know I sound like a parent, but I have spilled fuming sulfuric acid (97%) all over my arm and had to go to the hospital. I inhaled a sulfur-byproduct gas, that nearly choked me half to death. For 15 minutes, it felt like my lungs were being squeezed together my two guys in that "World's Strongest Man" competion. My hands were purplish-brown for weeks after using a strong oxidizer, potassium permanganate, KMnO4. So I know how bad this stuff can be.

Good luck.

3. Heh, Chris said everything I was going to, but with much more detail and authority ;) What's the experiment anyway, figuring out if you can play bass with your hand blown off? I've seen videos of small lumps of these metals getting dropped in water...Rb blew up the beaker; Cs essentially blew up the room.

Listen to SMASH, I hear Rolling Stone basically tells you how to make meth in a recent issue and AFAIK, the ingredients are only extremely poisonous rather than explosive :p

4. Tell me the ingredients; I could possibly tell you if they are poisonous.

5. You can goto the corner of your local ghetto to find some chemicals. Im pretty sure they can get you some good lithium there, though it wont be for chemistry...

Just JK,Just JK. I couldnt tell u man I don't know diddly-squat about chemistry. You might try the internet or asking your chemistry teacher (or if ur not in school, a chemisty teacher you might know)
    for a cataloug or sumthin.

6. Yea I read it they dont tell you how to actually cook it but they do tell you all the ingredients. And not only are they absurdly poisonous and explosive they are VERY Violate chemicals, Get just a drop of the waste that cooking meth makes and it will burn right through your hand and quite possibly the floor. After seeing how meth was made and what chemicals it uses i swore to never EVER touch it again, and ive stood true to that today.

7. Um, the lithium they give you on the street is the lithium salt, not the metal. :rolleyes:

8. Now that I think about it, I believe IAM... is right here, the cooking process is probably explosive, and the ingredients are definitely corrosive and poisonous. I don't have the magazine, but some possibilities that come to mind are: lye, bleach, iodine, HCl, concentrated ammonia, red phosphorus, and some kind of over-the-counter medication (I emphasize "possibilities" cuz my memory sucks). Basically, you mix a bunch of chemicals that'll kill you quickly and, if you don't kill yourself cooking it, you end up with a chemical that'll kill you slowly. How the hell anyone ever discovered the stuff (and had the balls to try it!) is beyond my comprehension. :confused:

9. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Though studying chem (and likely persuing it post secondary) I'm pretty ignorant to drug culture. Anyone care to inform me of the chemistry background of all this, as I don't really know anyone to ask (likely a good thing).

10. ARA punk, listen to chris these elements can really be dangerous if used in the wrong way! I suggest that you should work with compounds

11. http://www.powerlabs.org/chemlabs/index.html

It's interesting, but if anything here actually makes you wanna go out and do it, you need to, as the Beastie Boys so eloquently put it, "Check your Head."

Again, I just don't wanna see a TB member injured. Heck, I don't wanna see anyone (well, almost anyone hurt.)

However, properly used, you can use lithium. You seem like you actually want to use them in experiments, like I had to do a "Sodium Fusion" experiment in Orgo Lab II. It's a little harder to use than most chemicals though, AND THERE IS NO WAY YOU CAN TOUCH IT WITH YOUR HANDS.

12. Chriss62

Chriss62

Jul 24, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    I wonder why ARA punk has decided not to reply to anything said.:confused:

:rolleyes:

13. ARA punk

ARA punk

Jul 11, 2001
    USA, Shelby, NC
    Just saw the post come back up. I haven't been visiting all that frequently recently. I realize they're dangerous. I'm in Advanced Chemistry now in highschool, so i'm not ignorant on the properties of these metals. I know what they all do... i was just wondering where i could find them. I appreciate everyones concern though :D

14. odie

odie Supporting Member

Well first off ask your instructor what he/she thinks of your idea. Let them decide if it is within your skill level. If they feel safe with you doing this, they can probabaly tell you a place to look for these chemicals.

TB posters I dont think giving this info out to ARA would be a good idea, unless it is for safety reason. You dont want to feel libel for any accidents.

15. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Im glad you dont live anywhere near me ARApunk.

16. i heard you get some cool elements by mixing bleach with ammonia :cool:

17. if you want some cool effects, throw some dry-ice in a swimming pool and get ready to use your umbrella :)

18. JizzDogg

JizzDogg

Nov 4, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    ARA Punk, We need that shipment by the time of the "event". It would help if you expidite the process.

I knew I should have picked an Honors Advanced Chemistry student!