Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help finding the right stings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by scottos150, Jan 11, 2003.

1. I have a fretless fender jazz with the stock flats on it(guages.105 .090 .070 .055) and was wanting to switch to roundwounds or maybe some halfrounds, but I am having touble finding the same guage strings. Could someone please help me out? thanks

2. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    That's a fairly heavy gauge. I think Ernie Ball might make something similiar to those. Other than that, you may have to build a set using singles.

3. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    If you switch to rounds, you'll probably have to adjust the truss rod, or have it adjusted. I once switched from the Fender flats you mention, .055-.105, to GHS boomers in .050-.110, and had to loosen my truss rod. Ernie Ball makes "Power Slinky" nickel roundwounds that are .055-.110. They might be pretty close.

4. D'addario also make an XL set that is 55-110. A nice string with a strong bottom end... i had them on my Ibanez before I restrung it BEAD with rotosound Swing Bass Stainless.