Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help! first day in class

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by boomerang, Feb 10, 2002.

1. boomerang

boomerang Guest

Dec 9, 2001
    Canada
    I have had a bass for about 5 years but only started trying to learn (read: that without tab) since the end of the summer. Without any previous music education i signed up for a class at school, grade 11, how hard can it be? I know my scales, key signatures some chord concepts. I felt like i walked into a place that wasnt meant for me (think tom cruise in eyes wide shut), turned out its all the senior levels in one class. So im the only bass player (which is how i got into the class) and the teacher sets me up and we get right into some ear training. I thought i knew my intervals pretty good but not in all octaves on a piano, meanwhile everyone else was laughing at how easy it was. A drummer got more right than i did! She handed me all the songs the class was currently working on and they went right into it. Im not the greatest sight reader but i couldnt even tap my foot and follow where we were on the page. It was more or less embarrassing, i took my hand off the neck and tried to watch let alone play along. My question is this, will i get over the hump of things i dont know (different times 6/8 etc, sight reading, syncopated timing) and be able to fly right by, or am i doomed to a red-faced struggle throughout the semester. I felt like the teacher was throwing an anvil on my head, "well if i put him thro hell he will drop the class and i wont need to help anyone". everything i accomplished so far has been by myself, so it felt like i really knew alot in my own head. but then i fall into this and totally drown. I just want to learn, i dont really even care about getting a good mark in the class. so what should i do.. Keep going hoping it will get easier, or just drop the class and keep learning on my own? Anyone else have any similar experiences? I really cant see very far ahead on this and need all the help i can get. thanks

2. from the info i got from your post the teacher is not helping very much, and doing things beyond your capeability, if this is so then if i was in your position i would give up the course and perhaps try and find a private teacher or someone u know who plays the bass better than you to show you a few things. but in the end it's up to you, if you can't put up with the course then drop it, if you think you should stick it out for longer then do that.

and try talking to the the teacher, tell him/her your having trouble keeping up and see wot he/she has to say.

hope i've been some help

l8rz

Tom

3. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    To help rythmically, you may want to start playing basic 2 chord songs with I-V basslines. After you master that and learn to keep rhythm with other people, you can work on samba/bossa nova style basslines, then walking, then syncopated eigth note lines... It goes on forever. The best education is learning to play with other people, IMO.

4. boomerang

boomerang Guest

Dec 9, 2001
    Canada
    Thanks for the input, but now i have a new question: what is a better musical education, going to a weekly private lesson or 70 minutes a day of playing a variety of songs? I have plenty of free time to practice and am more interested in being creative and making my own music. Is a music class playing cats and annie virtually useless?

5. First of all: Be proud of what you have achieved on your on. I would talk to the teacher and ask him for some advice what to practice in your spare time. If he doesn't want to help you talk to his boss. Your teacher is getting paid to help you and not for kicking you out of the class.

6. Boomerang, I've been playing bass for about seven years. I took about 6 months worth of lessons. Everything else I have learned by myself. Not to say I'm a spectacular bass player or anything, but I can hold my own. I practice by playing different songs I already know, and creating new bass lines for songs I have in my head. I'm not in a band at the moment, but do occasionaly jam with some guitarists. I can say I'm damn good at improv, even if my knowledge of chords and theory is limited.

The best advice I can give you is to get a private teacher. A 1 on 1 learning experience is by far the best thing to do, IMO, if you have the chance to play with other musicians.
    Playing Cats and Annie probably isn't useless at all. You might think you will never use it EVER, thats what I thought about Bach. Now Bach is a great deal of what I play.

I don't know if this helps any.