Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help fixing a Crate BX100... master volume knob replacing...grateful for any help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mikeym, Oct 3, 2005.

1. mikeym

mikeym

Sep 24, 2003
    hey guys, :help:

i just bought a crate bx100 for 150 bucks... my dad picked it up while he was out, under my direction... my dad doesn't play bass.. and just picked it up for me... the place is "all sales final" and when i plugged it in when i got home it was cutting out at high levels and on certain notes...

i finally took off the plastic knobbys and realized that the master volume knob was loose... i pulled it to the left and the bass amp came to life with sound... i let it go and it stopped... hmm, so i tighted it up as tight as i could with a rachet and socket...

it still has a bad connection at high levels of playing... (not close to as bad as it was before.. but bad)

can i buy a new knob/switch from crate and install it myself... i took out the amp... and it looks pretty simplistic... also my 50 Hz slider is busted off... that looks like an easy replace as well...

anyone have any experiance with this?

thanks guys :help:

~mike

2. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    the knob may not be broken, its sounds like a cold solder joint. if this is the case, its not the actual volume level causing it to cut out, its the vibration shaking it loose after your crank it back into place. if you are handy with electronics, you can open up the box and check for yourself. compared to a good solder joint, it is pretty apparent when you see a solder joint that has become disconnected, broken, cracked, etc. if that is the problem, you just need to reheat the joint with a soldering iron & add some solder. If I am right, you can mail me a $40 diagnostic fee ;)

3. mikeym

mikeym

Sep 24, 2003
    thanks man... do i have to take out the board and look on the bottom?

i wasn't sure if that was a part that was soldered in or not... without removing all the wires tonight and taking out the board....

if this helps, when the bass amp would cut out... i could hit it on the top with my palm and it would turn back on... sometimes it wouldn't... sometimes it would... or i would have to play with the switch... the power never turned off, just the volume to the speaker

how much do you think a switch is?

i'm gonna check tomorrow but i'd like to get a new switch anyway being that mines bent....and i need a new eq. slider

~mikeym

4. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    Yes you have to take out the board & look at the bottom. If you are unsure, don't electrocute yourself, have a tech look at it. but that description absolutely sounds like cold solder joints. i dont know what "switch" you are talking about, but switches & pots are cheap. just make sure you replace it with the correct type.

5. mikeym

mikeym

Sep 24, 2003
    ok... sweet i hope thats it... cause from what i understand a solder joint is an easy fix... cept my dads solder gun don't work for crap... lol

the "knob" i'm talking about (for lack of a better word) is the master volume control... if i would wiggle that side to side i could turn off or on the amp's sound

~mikeym

thank you very much for your help man... u rock

6. Also, chances are the slider repair will not simply be a matter of the one control lever. Those things are usually a one-piece component -- the entire multi-band unit (however many bands it is), and you'll have to do a bit of soldering there as well. But if you can solder correctly, it's a cinch!

7. mikeym

mikeym

Sep 24, 2003
    hey wacker,

thanks man for the imput...

i can still use the eq and the broken one... it still slides and works... but the metal slider for you to move it with your finger is gone...

i figured you could just buy a new one and it fits in there...

guess not? :confused:

8. ...if only...

9. mikeym

mikeym

Sep 24, 2003
    ok i found the breaks...

what solder should i use?

~mikeym

10. Get some thin rosin core solder. Do NOT use acid core plumbing solder. Radio shack has it.

Randy

11. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    and use a decent soldering iron so you dont muck up the board. they are pretty cheap and hang on the wall right next to the solder at radio shack.

12. Decent and small. Bigger is not better, too much heat will lift the traces off the circuit boards. Tin the iron properly before use, and don't linger on the connection. Heat, remelt solder, get off. Add very little solder if it is needed. You can load too much and it'll short something out.

Randy

13. mikeym

mikeym

Sep 24, 2003
    hmm my friends dad is an electrician/computer tech. for deka battery...

i think i may shoot over there and let him help me out...

~mikeym

14. mikeym

mikeym

Sep 24, 2003
    fixed sucessfully! thanks guys for your help!

:hyper:

~mikeym