HELP! Flake GAS! New color for a Jazz Bass (poll)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sgtpepper, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Gold sparkle

28 vote(s)
    22.0%
  2. Orange sparke

26 vote(s)
    20.5%
  3. Blue sparkle

30 vote(s)
    23.6%
  4. Pink sparkle

11 vote(s)
    8.7%
  5. Leave it as it is

20 vote(s)
    15.7%
  6. CARROTS!

12 vote(s)
    9.4%
  1. sgtpepper

sgtpepper

Jan 22, 2010
    Mexico City
    Hello fellow TBers,

This is simple, I've been wandering around the internet and I want a new color for my natural VM Jazz. I have 4 colors in mind but can't decide which one. Please help me decide.

Notes:
    I want to keep the tort guard.
    I will keep the covers.
    I will paint the tug bar in the same color.
    The headstock will remain in natural maple.

Questions:
    Should I change the tort guard?
    How much should a flake/sparkle paint job cost?
    Will the sparkle paint job add a lot of extra weight?

Please post photos of your sparkle basses, suggestions, comments, anything. I'm kinda lost here.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

Tbone76 and PortlandBass77 like this.
  2. Carrot orange all the way!

smogg and BIGEJ2 like this.
  3. jaybones

jaybones Inactive

Mar 4, 2015
    Kelleys Island, Ohio
    none
    I'm in the (long) process of doing a flake myself. Don't have a spray rig so I'm using Ed Roth rattle bombs (cans), and laying the base coat didn't take very long at all.

I ran into trouble with the flake, as the only size available in a can was 4mm. Too small for anything more than a metallic finish, so I'm going to order some 12mm and make a shaker using a Mason jar with a screen with holes slightly larger than 12mm or drill holes a little larger in a Mason jar lid. While the subsequent coats of base are wet I'll shake the flake onto the top, locking it in with more coats of clear.

I've seen this done (on the intraweb), and the results looked pretty decent. I also think maybe I'll try different sizes with slightly different colors, larger first to get a deeper look. But that's another can(s) (see what I did there) of worms.

sgtpepper likes this.
  4. sgtpepper

sgtpepper

Jan 22, 2010
    Mexico City
    Well, I won't be doing it myself. I think I'll send it to a professional luthier. I'm not very good with painting and I've never done a proper one. But maybe in the future.

5. sgtpepper

sgtpepper

Jan 22, 2010
    Mexico City
  6. Midak

Midak

Sep 4, 2011
    Athens, Greece
    With tort on, Gold Sparkle.

funkinbottom and seang15 like this.
  7. eldoryder

eldoryder I just LOVE me some Vintage Peaveys!

Jun 27, 2011
    Nacogdoches, TX
    My vote is to go with whatever metalflake color your vintage Kustom upholstery has!

In my case, SILVER...........

DSCN1882.jpg

Barring that, the sky's the limit! ;)

jaybones, sgtpepper, seang15 and 2 others like this.
  8. RBASS930

RBASS930

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    If you want to keep the tort guard, probably black flake. Otherwise, it's probably best to change the guard depending on the color. I vote go with the COLOR that best suits you, and then you can always change the pickguard to suit it.
    Go with Marty Bell. Great price, quick turnaround, and fantastic work.

IMG_2222.JPG

sgtpepper likes this.
  9. Midak

Midak

Sep 4, 2011
    Athens, Greece
    Some more accurate samples, i.e. tort included:

2016-Fender-Custom-Shop-64-Jazz-Bass-Relic-_57.jpg

2016-Fender-Postmodern-Journeyman-Jazz-Precision-Bass-Custom-_57.jpg

fe9233001547-xl-02.jpg

sgtpepper and seang15 like this.
  10. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    None of the above. Green sparkle with tort.

11. I'd go with orange sparkle and a all-white pickguard.

12. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

I can understand the urge to "jazz-up" your Jazz, but be careful you don't get too YOLO-ostentatious…unless that happens to be exactly what you want. (If you want it to be seen from low orbit, then please…go right ahead!) If this bass is your Numero Uno, then you definitely want to think this through to the end. What I mean is, whichever color you choose, make sure it's one you'd want to be seen with no matter what kind of gig or venue you're playing, or likely to play in the future.

Here's one way to look at it, but from slightly different angle; Do a Google Images search for a few of your favorite car makes and models. If there is one or two colors you would never have a problem being seen behind the wheel, that's one way of narrowing down your choices.

Another way is based on what you wear when you gig…assuming this will be a gigging instrument. For example, if you like to wear a lot of red, don't go with a blue finish. You have to be very careful about how you mix reds and blues. A little can work quite well, but too much and they begin to clash. Other simple rules apply; Don't go with purple if you like to wear yellow (you'll look like an Easter Egg! :facepalm:)…lots of reds and greens together starts to look like Christmas colors…etc, etc, etc…

sgtpepper, Oddly and Diztortion like this.
  13. Tom Bomb

Tom Bomb Hypocognitive

Apr 23, 2014
    I think the blue looks good
    and it also looks good in the mint - my choice :)
    blue-jpg.jpg

StrungLow and seang15 like this.
  14. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    I like the pink sparkle. Not enough pink basses around! Second choice is gold. Too many blue sparkle basses out there, not that there's anything wrong with that, I just say go unique.

15. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    Hiding a beautiful woodgrain should be a crime punishable by having to befriend your drummer! I know thats harsh, but hey!!

sgtpepper, Hambone 70 and Diztortion like this.
  16. I am an advocate of green on black w/ tort, and also love the idea of silver on white w/tort. But really that comes down to what colour (yeah COLOUR, damn Yanks..lol) the body is naturally.

sgtpepper likes this.
  17. ^ You awful, awful man. But you have a seriously good point.

18. FantasticFour

FantasticFour

Dec 14, 2013
    Europeland
    I voted carrots. Tort and sparkle is almost always a no-go in my book.

CPplaysBASS, sgtpepper and Diztortion like this.
  19. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    You don't mention whether your neck is maple or rosewood, which might have a bearing on this...but I'd go for that orange sparkle - but with a white/cream guard.