Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help for 5 string jazz

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Zanyman42788, May 23, 2004.

1. Zanyman42788

Zanyman42788 Guest

Apr 15, 2004
    california
    Hey i have a 5 string MIM jazz. I am currently looking for new pickups. I am looking for a jaco-like tone without 60 cycle hum to a beefy rock tone. Keep in mind that the jaco tone is first priority. I am considering fender 5 string vintage noiseless jazz pickups seeing as how fender made jaco's pickups... but people have told me that fender dosnt make good products anymore. I have fenders on order right now.... but because i can cancel and order something else, ide like to know some other good ideas. keep in mind the B isnt a big deal for me, i just have it just in case really. also at that, are there any good wireing mods that you would suggest with the pickups? (also, i dont want actives... i want a vintage tone)
    thanx!

2. Dimarzio ultra jazz- cants stress these enough- my new 5 has em, and the bridge pickup sounds just like jaco- but cuts thru the mix like OJ.

3. Zanyman42788

Zanyman42788 Guest

Apr 15, 2004
    california
    what would u say the main diffrence is between to the 2 pickups?

4. Zanyman42788

Zanyman42788 Guest

Apr 15, 2004
    california
    ok i heard a sample of the ultra jazzes, and im very impressed... now my question is how much installation itll take.... is it possible to do it myself without cutting wood? if i do cut wood what tools would i use? what is in order to make the strings spaced correctly for the pickups?
    thanx

5. Zanyman42788

Zanyman42788 Guest

Apr 15, 2004
    california
    ok, i orderd the ultra jazzes, if i do the push pull pots, what should i make all the pulling and pushing do? do the ultra jazzes alow 2 volume 1 tone?
    thanx alot

6. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland

Hi!

First off, the thread at the top of this forum is an excellent resource for J-pickups..
    Click me, thank you!

Many mods have also been discussed here before, try a search for series/parallel mod.

7. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I believe Carey Nordstrand is now building a 5 string jazz bass pickup.
    Contact Jay Lewis at www.blueberryhillbass.com He can give you all the info you need!

Carey's pickups are awesome! IMHO, if you want a vintage tone, go with Carey Nordstrand's pickups. You can also count on top notch service from Blueberry hill bass. Jay takes his time to answer all your questions, and is just a really great guy. He's here on talkbass as JPJ.

Good luck in your search! :hyper: