Help for a beginner

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Nosiam, Sep 13, 2000.

1. Nosiam

May 4, 2000
    I bought a beginner's bass (a Yamaha RBX260) and I'm looking to improve the sound. I'd like to get new pickups but I'm completely clueless as to what would work well. I play mostly rock/punk if that helps. Also, I haven't yet bought strings and am looking for suggestoins there. Thanks.

2. Changing your pickups will definitely alter your bass's voice.First,you need to consider How much do want to spend?Which brand will offer the desired pickup for that dollar amount?Who's sound do you want to emulate?Who's your favorite player?Find out what he or she uses.They might have stock pick ups or custom(i.e.Seymour Duncans,Basslines,etc.)Fortunately,we live in a day and age were our choices are many.Check out the nearest music store near you,they should have what your looking for.I hope I've been helpful,good luck!!!
  3. dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    I can personally vouch for EMG's giving my bass a good sound. I have an Ibanez GSR 200 and was thinking of getting rid of it, but instead just replaced the stock p'ups with EMGs and now it sounds sweet. They might cost a little too much though... As for strings, check out GHS Bass Boomers and Ernie Ball Slinkys...

[Edited by dmaki on 09-14-2000 at 07:54 PM]
  4. I used to have a Soundgear 1000 and a 1500.They were both great sounding axes equipped with EMGs.Right now I've been playing Stingrays,I might check out the Seymour Duncan's Basslines.They supposedly are an improvement over the stock pickups.Imagine that,changing the sound of a Stingray!!That bass already kicks butt!!!
  5. So true,I guess I got carried away .You'll have to excuse me.I'm new to this site and I'm thrilled to be part of this community.As far as strings are concerned,whatever you can afford and what suits your taste.

"How do you get to Carnegie Hall?"
    Practice Practice Practice
  6. Nosiam

May 4, 2000
    To clarify, I bought the bass about a year ago and am now looking to improve the sound. I think my technique is beyond the "beginner" stage so it's not gear acquisition syndrome (I hope). Maybe a year is still too soon. Also, when I said I hadn't bought strings I meant that I'm still using the ones that came with the bass. Anyways, thanks for all the suggestions on pickups and strings and if anyone else has other opinions I'm still open to other ideas.
  7. Forget about new pickups. Get new strings. 1 year is a LONG time for bass strings and chances are they're deader than dead.

Put a fresh set of strings on that thing and play it. Chances are, new pickups won't help much. Too many other things go into the sound of a bass, especially who's playing it.

Get good, then consider modifying this bass or even getting a new one. You'll know when the time is right.
  8. Ummm...I don't have more to say,I think everyone has told you what you need to hear.Good luck and have a blast.
  9. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    This is just my opinion...

I don't think a Yamaha RBX260 is worth upgrading. If you're in love with the feel and playability of the bass (or you have some other attachment to it), it may be worth upgrading to you.

If you're unhappy with the bass, sell it or trade it in on something you like better. I think the RBX260 was a fine choice as a first/begginer bass, but I think it would be an unwise financial decision to upgrade that bass.