Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help for a fool plz

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by pereek, Jun 24, 2002.

1. hi well i've decided to learn a bit of theory.

Ok i know the notes on the bass. And the name of strings.
    Major scales:
    tone tone semitone tone tone tone semitone. yes or no?
    I can work that out after a while.

Minor scales: Havent got a clue so could you tell me?

Last thing is the Bass clef. I havent got a clue about it. I'd love to start reading music.

thanks for answers in advanced.

2. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
  3. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Yep. :)

Minor scales: tone semitone tone tone semitone tone tone. I usually look at scales as series of whole and half steps. Tone=whole step. Semitone=half step. Minor scales can be formed in a few ways: 1) They can built off the 6th step of the Major scale (This is the Aeolian mode if you have learned anything about modes yet...), 2) Lower the 3rd, 6th, and 7th notes of the major scale, 3) The steps listed above: Half steps occurring btw. the 2-3 and 5-6 of the scale.

The Bass Clef can also be called the F Clef because if you look at the dots on it they are above and below the second line (F). All your other notes take their location from the F:

1st line: A
    2nd line: F
    3rd line: D
    4th line: B
    5th line: G

Then your spaces:

1st space: G
    2nd space: E
    3rd space: C
    4th space: A

Hope this helps,
    Stephanie

4. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

By the way, congratulations on trying to learn these important scales and theory. You are doing the right thing to help yourself improve as a bass player.

5. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Congratulations on your journey toward musical knowledge. I would also recommend the lesson I wrote on scales, which ThrashJazz pointed out.

As for the bass clef, as stephanie pointed out lines and spaces of the bass clef work in just the same way as the treble clef of course, they just start on a different note. I remember the lines as, (going from the bottom moving up):

Good Boys Do Fine Always

...and the spaces as...

All Cows Eat Grass

Try this quick exercise I did on Finale, and tell me if it makes sense. Remember, it's important to try and play it in time. I highlyrecommend using a metronome. Start at about 60 bpm. You want to make sure each note gets its full value, good articulation and attack, and that the other notes don't ring out. It's not as easy as it sounds. If this is too simple, or you would like something else after you've mastered this, just let me know.

[​IMG]

6. So, if D major is D-E-F#-G-A-B-C#-D, then D minor should be D-E-F-G-A-Bb-C-D, (3rd, 6th and 7th lowered by 1/2 step), right? And D minor is related to F major (since they both have Bb), right?

On that "relative key" point, why is it important to know which major and minor keys are related? If I know that Am and C are related, what can I do with that information? Aren't they just the same group of notes with different starting and stopping points.

C D E F G A B C
    A B C D E F G A

If someone says, "hey, what key are you in?" how do I know whether I'm in Am or C, and, if so, how does it matter?

I feel like I'm in algebra class, where, I might add, my academic career came to grinding halt.

7. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I don't know the answers, but I want to...

(Although I'm pretty sure the only thing that differentiates a major scale from a minor scale is that the 3rd is lowered a half-step -- I don't believe the sixth and seventh are affected.)

8. thanks for the great responce!
    ok i'm gonna concentrate on reading music then i'll get the scales nailed. So you guys got some good (simple) music i know the tune to so i know if i'm playing it wrong?
    thanks again this is really helping

9. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Bzzzt! For Pure minor, the 3rd, 6th and 7th are lowered one half step (this is also called Aolean Mode).

For Dorian Mode (also a minor mode), the 3rd and 7th are lowered.

10. lushfreak,

I think what you're referring to is the difference between major and minor triads, where the change from the former to the latter is accomplished by lowering only the 3d tone by 1/2 step

(C = C-E-G to Cm = C-Eb-G)

Taking the entire C major scale down to a C minor scale requires that the 3d 6th and 7th tones to be lowered 1/2 step.

This follows the mandates of the the major and minor scale formulas,

C major

w w 1/2 w w w 1/2
    C D E F G A B C

Cminor
    w 1/2 w w 1/2 w w
    C D Eb F G Ab Bb C

this is what I think is correct, anyway.

11. As far as what to do with that information, it helps when reading chord changes or coming up with basslines. You can figure out ways to play lines without always starting on the root note. It also helps with solos. Like, if I were playing a solo and came to the chords C then Am, I know that the notes I have to choose from are the same.

As far as them being the same group of notes with different starting and stopping points, I guess that is true, but it is these starting and stopping points that effects the color of the chord or scale.

I don't know if that helped at all..

BTW, I don't have a degree in music.. Just some things that I noticed over the years.

12. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Could be...could be. Makes me glad that I'm finally going to be taking some lessons!

13. anyone?

14. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    How do we know what you know the tune to?

15. good point. Well i'm guessing the simplest thing to play would probably be a nurusry rhyme or something along those lines. Twinkle twinkle? heh sorry

16. Lady Jayde

Lady Jayde

Jul 17, 2002
    Florida
    I found the best thing to do was to go out and just download music.. after you have heard it....
    I play acousitc also...(i'm not a traitor...) so when i learned something on the acoustic i would pick up my bass and learn it.. i've even writen my own music to help with my bass playing..