Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help for a lifetime bass !

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JayAmel, Dec 13, 2004.

Which lifetime 5er ?

Poll closed Dec 27, 2004.
  1. Warwick Streamer Stage II 5 string

16 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Music Man StingRay 5

32 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Hi friends,

I have a real dilemma. I keep undecided between two 5 string basses.

The first choice is a Warwick Streamer Stage II . I tried one a few days ago, and I really was much impressed.

On the other hand, I remember my previous Music Man StingRay 5 , it was great (I sold it for financial reasons).

I want a lifetime bass. I play many styles of music (currently playing in a cover band), and I may be led to play vitually any style in the future.

The question is simple, but the answer is not (at least for me) :
    Which one would you choose as a lifetime bass ?

Many thanks in advance,

Cheers,
    JL

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Of the two listed, I'd go with the SR5; however, have you ever tried a Bongo? IMO, you'll be doing yourself a disservice if you don't check one out.

3. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Yeah check out a bongo, and check out a streamer stage one, i likes the SSi alot more than the SSII.

4. Jean you should defnitely check out different basses ( bongos :) )
    If i had to decide between a Stingray and a Streamer stage one i would probaly take the Stingray.

5. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes! Supporting Member

Unless your budget makes it impossible, I'd go with a used Lakland 55-94 rather than either of the two you have listed. There are some unbelievable deals out there now (and some that are WAY over-priced). Although I have two basses I like better (Ken Lawrence Brase 5 and a MTD 535) I really like the Lakland.

If your budget is short for a used 55-94 - try a used 55-02! Same electronics and the body and neck feel identical.

Just my $0.02 (Canadian!)
    Dan K.

6. It was said earlier, but Im repeating for emphasis. Try a Bongo. They are amazing basses. Between the two you chose. The StingRay 5 for sure.

7. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Thanks guys, but sorry, no Bongo for me !
    I have no doubt they are great, though.

Cheers,
    JL

8. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    I've got to go with Dan on the Lakland 55-94. Except there's nothing I like better.

To get a closer SR5 sound, I suggest a 55-94 with Bassline PUPs and stainless strings.

I do like SR5s, but the Lakies are lighter and more versatile.

9. I myself would keep the music man 5string because of its classic sound and its easy to dial tone capibilitys & plus its easy too play

10. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    If you're talking about a bass that will serve you a good long time (I think "lifetime" may be unreasonable, as who knows what your needs will be in the future. There's a good line between knowing what you want/need and being flexible to what you may need) you're limiting yourself far too much by only considering two basses. I'd take a couple *years*, play every bass I could get my hands on, and see what suits my need best. There's also the factor of price range, which you haven't mentioned.

And if you're also talking about a "lifetime bass" that can suit a large variation of musical styles (I think there's a bit of language issues here) I'd think both the StingRay, due to it's single pickup, and the Warwick, due to the exotic body woods, aren't your best choices for a "jack-of-all-trades" basses. Toss in Spector, Sadowsky, a pre-Gibson Tobias or new MTD, Mike Lull, Roscoe...

Ultimately I'd choose the StingRay, but I think there's further work to be done to pick a "lifetime bass". Unless you completely dig the StringRay, in which case ignore everything I've just said. ;)

11. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I voted for the Warwick Streamer primarily because it has 2 pickups and you can get more usable sounds out of it than the single pup MM bass. The MEC pups and electronics sound nice. IMO the MM has one great sound but isn't versatile enough to cover all styles of music. However, as others have stated, I'd look at a lot more instruments before I made the purchase. For the price (new) of the Warwick or MM you could afford a nice used higher end bass that would certainly be of a high quality and more versatile.
    Also for what it's worth, I've had what I thought were several lifetime basses. They are now a part of someone elses life! :D

12. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    +1

In my humble, humble, opinion, either of those basses isn't going to be a true "jack-of-all-trades" type bass(nice terminology 2112). Both of them have really disticnt sounds, and the MM is hard to dial into another basses type of sound, though i can see the SSII being better since it has 2 pups. If you want a bass that will last a "lifetime" and fit itself into a any role EASILY, you should definately check out some more high-end stuff (Roscoe, Lull, Sadowsky, Roscoe, Lakland, Valenti, MTD, Roscoe, etc.) With any of those basses you could bring the house down in just about any style.