1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help for Beginner

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by spoonfed86, Jul 20, 2007.

1. spoonfed86

spoonfed86

Jul 20, 2007
    Hello Everyone.

I've had my first bass for 4 days and I am teaching myself (using the internet) but need some advice.
    Whenever I play anything (apart from open), the strings make a strange noise which i can only describe as a rattle. It sounds like the the string is vibrating on the fret. This occurs no matter how hard a hold the string down.
    I mainly only have this problem with E and A but it can occur on the bottom two strings.
    Is this an error on how i'm playing or is it due to a cheap bass / strings.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Mark

2. mpinonj

mpinonj

Jul 18, 2007
    Houston, Tx.
    Did you buy the bass new or used? If the finger is in the middle of the fret and you are holding your finger down as hard as you can, there should be no buzz. Now, the action on your bass could be off and you would need somebody to fix that for you. You could do it yourself, but I would recommend someone who knows more or less where the action should be.
    So take you bass to your local music store and ask them to check the "action on your bass".

3. spoonfed86

spoonfed86

Jul 20, 2007
    Thanks

It was a cheap / new bass.
    After playing it for 5 minutes a string snapped so I'm buying new strings tomorrow. Is this likely to rectify the problem.
    If not then i will take your advice

4. mpinonj

mpinonj

Jul 18, 2007
    Houston, Tx.
    you may have some really light strings. Ask for medium strings. I am no expert in the string technology, but I generally use medium strings. Good luck with everything.

5. Tinybasschick

Tinybasschick

Jul 20, 2007
    Your strings could be set too low, or the truss rod might need adjusted (it controls the amount of neck-bow). Have an expert do that one. I started with a junky Rickenbacker rip-off, and couldn't get the neck straight. Good luck!

6. Qvist

Qvist

Jul 20, 2007
    Denmark
    I agree with Tinybasschick, try to raise the strings a little, you can do that on the top of your fret, I had the exact same problem with the rattling! I recommend getting some help with it :)