1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help for beginner

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by spoonfed86, Jul 20, 2007.

1. spoonfed86

spoonfed86

Jul 20, 2007
    Hello Everyone.

I've had my first bass for 4 days and I am teaching myself (using the internet) but need some advice.
    Whenever I play anything (apart from open), the strings make a strange noise which i can only describe as a rattle. It sounds like the the string is vibrating on the fret. This occurs no matter how hard a hold the string down.
    I mainly only have this problem with E and A but it can occur on the bottom two strings.
    Is this an error on how i'm playing or is it due to a cheap bass / strings.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Mark

2. collicsws6z28

collicsws6z28

Jan 29, 2007
    what kind of bass is it? If its the sound Im thinking of, its sounds clangy, which is a sign of new bass strings, play it alot for a few days and it will become less and less

3. Flintc

Flintc

Aug 15, 2006
    Alabama
    It might be worth your while to find a technician to set it up for you. That way, at least you know any such problems are you and not the bass.

4. spoonfed86

spoonfed86

Jul 20, 2007
    Thanks guys.
    As I said its been 4 days. It is similar to sounding clangy. If it is due to new strings, how long roughly until the sound will go?
    It was a cheap bass. £140 which included an amp plus etcs.
    Its only to practise on and if i get better, then i will invest in better gear.

5. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Part of your problem may be technique. Many/most new bass players pluck the strings too hard, which can make the strings slap against the frets. Try using a softer touch and playing closer to the bridge.

If your bass has not been set up, then doing that can help, too.

6. mellobud

mellobud

May 17, 2007
    Take it to an a buddy who can play well and get his opinion....he might agree that a setup is needed.

I know when I started playing, I played way too hard (right and left hand). I wore out the frets from pressing too hard on my old starter bass.

then again, you can never go wrong with a good setup...plays like a dream (if you have been playing long enough to tell the difference).

7. owensea777

owensea777 Banned

Jun 16, 2007
    What kind of strings do you have? Look for a string that reduces this evil thing you speak of known as "fret buzz." You can make a new thread or just do a search here on TalkBass.
    I hated the fret buzz on my acoustic-electric so much I bought flatwound strings (you should research these as well, these are old-school strings). Also, I am getting rid of the frets alltogether when I get my new, fretless bass!
    Take your bass to a guitar shop and get the proper setup, as others have suggested. Call first to make sure they have a "bass man" working. You don't want a guitar guy messing around with your bass.

8. As far as technique goes, where are you pressing down the strings? If you press down directly next to the fret, this "rattling" should stop, but if you play in the middle of the fret it takes more effort, you have to push down much harder, to reduce the buzzing sound.

And welcome to the wonderful world of bass! You won't be disappointed.

9. afinalfantasy

afinalfantasy Banned

Jan 11, 2006
    The action might be set up a bit strange, that could be the problem.

10. Fontaine

Fontaine

Apr 27, 2006
    well it could always be fret buzz, are you holding the strings down hard enough?

also it very well could be a truss rod problem, i had this before myself (the nut that runs down the neck of the bass, you can see the top of it on the head stock just downt he neck, an allen key is used to fix it), it can be a headach but never worry it can be fixed, theres some stickies at the top of each forum explaining different things, one of them in some forum(sorry i dont know the exact one) is how to fix a truss rod problem.

welcome to talk bass, this is a great place :D, good luck with your playing.

ps: what bass are you playing, sorry i didn't read the other posts if you already had said it. If its a horrible bass even by beginner standards you might want to look into the used market and get your self a nice bass that has already been tested out. OR me personnally would go the Squire route, just look into some of that stuff for good beginner gear.

11. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas Commercial User

Aug 16, 2005
    Dallas, north Texas
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars