Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help for Canadian Border-Duty Payer!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xolin, Oct 13, 2003.

1. Hey, i bought a six string bass from Rondo last year and it was a good price even with the poor exchange rate at the time. BUT! The border duty (through ups and customs canada) came out to $120 canadian (90 US?), and a bit more later on (tax). Thats a bitch!

Anyway, I dont know if it would be worth the trouble or anything, but I will be considering purchasing a fretless sixer from rondo within the next few months and was wondering if someone in the US who borders Canada could somehow order it (after getting my money) and take it across the border without the customs trouble (in a car would be good, just dont have the price tag with it, you can claim its yours). Anyway, once here i dont know whats the best method, whether sending it via mail or ups or Canada Post express, or driving up here (although the gas would be a problem, i live in thornhill (toronto basically).

So, any suggestions, I would of course (if it should be worth it in foresight) pay whoever does this for gas, toll, and whatever shipping cost, plus something for them.

So here's the estimate for shipping to Canada regularly:
    $50.95 US shipping
    $90-95 US customs
    $145.95 US Total

With friendly duty free courier (who can say he has a gig in TO :))
    ~$21 US shipping
    No border duty if you take off the big box i guess.
    $2-3 US toll?
    I dont know about gas...you'd know better :D
    These two are uneducated guesses, probably more than actual cost +/- $10:
    <$20 US for shipping from there with CAN POST
    ~$20 US for shipping with UPS
    Total: $60 US +/- 15, depending on proximity to border.

So, anyone have a suggestion or think that its better without the hassle? I'm a university student, so every penny counts. Plus, Kurt may be generous and give a little discount :(

Thanks for any suggestions or help!

PEACE!

2. OH, i forgot, probably not due to gas costs, but it may be cheaper to drive to rondo, then to the border, but UPS is prob cheaper (merged costs).

3. I don't know what to tell you. You're basically asking someone to smuggle it across the border. If you have relatives in the US I think you can work out some sort of gift type thing with customs that is pretty much duty free. Other than that, I don't know what to tell you. Is there nothing comparable you can buy in Canada?

Geoff

4. You don't want to get caught in a smuggling deal -it will cost you much more than the duty and taxes payable (especially if you are convicted and not just fined). You want the gear, you pay what the law requires.

However, your numbers make sense only if you bought a $500 - 600 USD bass made in Korea.
    At the border you will be charged GST and PST (15% of the sales price), duty (on a US, Canadian or American-made instrument it is 0%, on a Korean it is 6%), brokerage fee (typically 1%) plus freight (which should be in the order of $40 CAD by ground).

How much did you pay for the bass???

5. WEll nothing for that price range. THe stuff I've tried is crappola compared to Brice. Really, I am very limited in my price range, but these basses are steals already. The smuggling thing sounds wrong, but I pay my taxes and will have to pay interest on my student loans, so another 100 bucks from me the government can live without. Anyway, I wouldnt want anyone who was uncomfortable with it do it. But, if someone has done something similar for lets say family or friends or knows a way around this fee, it'd help. Seriously, that 100 bucks is 2 meals per day for a month for me, and after the bass i'll have something between $12 and some other small amount in my account :D. I do need a fretless (absolutely no decent ones under 1000 here) for my jazz group and other purposes, and the HXB is my choice. So, if someone thinks this is wrong, then let me know as well, you may persuade me!

6. Well, the bass actually went for $199US (one of the last ones they had of the HSB896s). UPS charged me $120 canadian (they had all of the tax rates and stuff, but i cant find the receipt), then about a month later they sent me a bill for another $25 for another provincial tax. This is how UPS works, my friend bought a flying V from them for about 135US and he paid about 100 canadian in duties. Thats just how it is with UPS i guess.

7. If you check Rondo's website Canadian shipping is fixed at $50US. And the duties will be at least 120. I have ordered a Jackson guitar from us as well with us airmail and it was only 40 canadian for duties. UPS has other fees too i think for border crossing. I dunno, i may call them>??

8. Word.

I'm currently dealing with that kind of sh*t. I know it looks like a ripoff, but I doubt it's worth the trouble to try to get around it.

I think you should look around your place and try to find a similar product for a similar price. I guess you could find some pretty cool deals around the Toronto area, and it would be much less hassle than to try to get a perfect stranger to get an alien product into the country in such a questionnable fashion.

Sorry if I sound negative, but I think you could get an instrument of (at least) the same quality with much less trouble.

Good luck! :)

9. I just looked up an old self made record i made, it says that the total for everything for the brice 6er was 504.97 Canadian. I could not get a MIA fender for that, maybe a MIM, but nothing as good as the brice. It was a 6 string too. And i think it was a good deal, still. Anyway, if this shipping thingis the case, maybe someone could buy one from the store, then ship it themselves as a gift? I don't know all the details or any relatives or friends down there unfortunately :(

10. I've been to about 6 or 7 music stores in TO area (up to newmarket and all the way to kingston). And Ive found no good six string basses under 1500...actually only 2 that were under 1000 and tehy were washburns or barachudas or something...really poorly made. ANyway, I've been looking for a good bass deal around here and the only thing i can find is a stu hamm urge I for 899 Canadian used. That i can get on ebay for less prob. Anyway, no good fretlesses, unless there is something i dont know about where to get basses in TO???

11. Oh, and the bass i would get would be a HXB Bubinga (fretless if one comes out).

That would be (if i can get it for 259.95 US) with money order fee (4 bucks), etc:

$578.93 Canadian. Now I am convinced that I couldn't get a better 6 string bass for this in Canada with the quality and tone of the brices (if its better than my current passive sixer, which it prob is and has bubinga, its worth it). Anyone know of another bass for this much (any number of strings, but preferably fretless)?

12. whatever, im just gonna pay the duties and get the bass, Kurt will just have to find it in his heart to recheck the shipping rate (it should be 45 us) and maybe take off 20 bucks as thats what my student loan account will be able to take. Anyway, thaks guys, talked me out of something that would be too much of a hassle. Anyway, goodnight and happy turkey day to the canadians!

13. certainly I would love to buy a good used name brand, but i only have a 500 limit (600 is stretching it for me) and this is prob the best bass i can get for that, but without the resell value. Anyway, I'm sure those with these basses would agree. I would definately get something like a ken smith or a fodera if i could afford it (maybe after i have a PhD in ten years :D) but i cant, and anything in between is usually not worth the money for a sound i wouldnt like more than this one. Its worth it as you said, korean or not, but thanks for the input.

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Do you realize that under U.S. law, you're already guilty of a felony? Conspiracy to commit any crime (in this case, smuggling) is a felony. Since it involves an international border, it's a federal crime. Just an FYI.

15. wyliee

wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    Just a quick note here. UPS has bought up many smaller customs houses in the US and quickly made a mess of their customs clearings process.

Stay away from UPS for shipping across the border if at all possible. Look and see who else you can use or at least try to find a local customs agent to be your agent of record.

-Eric.