Help for "cramming".

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Ugly Cassanova, Apr 23, 2003.

1. Ok, here's the deal. I am suppose to make an audition tape for this Alberta classical band. And I had thought that the audition tape had to be in months from now, so I was thinking "no sweat, i can learn how to use the bow quite easily in like half a year". But it turns out the audition tape has to be by friday.

What I have to do is:
    1) A chromatic scale
    2) two major scales
    3) a Etude or piece.

I can do them, but bowing them is a whole different thing, Does anybody know any good "Cramming" practise exercises that might get me ready for friday?
    Would practising 4+ hours a day till then work, or would that just wear me out?

Any help would be HUGELY appreciated.

Also, alot of the time between a scale or song, when i go for a stroke i get a gross like ringy sound out of it.
  2. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    If you're still at the point where you can't get a decent core sound out of the bow, I wouldn't try to "cram" for an audition. You can't really cram for a musical performance, anyway.

Just focus for now on getting nice-sounding long tones out of the instrument.
  3. the thing was i needed to add much more rosin, i'm still having troubles applying it.

Now, i just have to get past the hand cramps.
  4. Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor

Dec 20, 2001
    Tracy CA
    Good luck

there is a reason it is called "the stick of pain"

I hate to be dispariaging but it takes lots of practince, years, to get smooth with a bow.

start with long whole note scales and try to make the transition from one note as smooth as possiable.

If you get lots of hand cramps you might be holding the bow too tight.

When you bow your wrist should flex as you go back and forth. you lead the stroke with the elbo.