1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help for New 6 string please

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by runningbass, May 19, 2011.

1. runningbass

runningbass

May 19, 2011
    Hello all,
    i bought my first 6 string a while back and have loved it. I have sold some stuff and have about 2000 in total. Which 6 string would you suggest for someone who plays a lot of jazz and blues, but also has to be able to play some rock?
    I am not talking about modern hard rock. The hardest thing i've ever played was a Led Zeppelin cover (still rock but not the crazy killer mosh pit rock).
    I tried to search the forums but search "6 string bass" and any variant there of is a little difficult.
    Thank you for your help!

2. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Whichever one plays the best and sounds good to your ears?

For $2000, there's a lot out there. What kind of things, tone aside, do you look for in a bass?

3. runningbass

runningbass

May 19, 2011
    Not much really
    Looks don't matter too much
    11-12 lbs is the max weight I will take
    String spacing isn't a huge deal
    And preferably something I can get my hands on and try. I don't wanna buy something without trying it.

4. ThumpsAlot

ThumpsAlot Cant hold no grove if you aint got no pocket

Nov 18, 2007
    Lake Worth Florida
    Ibanez makes some really good 6 strings. And you would have some money to spare.

5. tylerwylie

tylerwylie

Jan 5, 2008
    Dunwoody, GA
    Bongo 6.

6. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey
    Yeah, sooo many choices. I'd personally look for a Bongo or Roscoe, but I'd try as many as possible. Nothing like new instrument shopping :)

7. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    A wide variety of options in that price range, to be sure .... Most of your responses will be of the "fan-boy" type, take 'em all with a grain of salt. What I think is great you might hate, blah, blah, blah ...

Things like string spacing, scale, weight etc all play a larger part in 6+ string basses .... if you can, visit some shops and see what feels good to you. Also, check out the TB FS section, there is always a decent variety of 6's available at good prices ... :cool:

8. AmadeusXeno

AmadeusXeno

Mar 8, 2011
    Maine
    I have some Ibanez 6 stringers that I own and like but if I had 2k to spend on a new bass I'd get a bongo sh. As long as you don't mind the look it is a very versital bass. You should be able to find a bongo to try at a local MM dealer.

9. conttador

conttador

Jun 10, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    Ken Smith BO. You can't gor wrong with a Ken Smith Bolt-on.

I would never buy a new bass, mainly because I am an accountant by day and more often than not an instrument will depreciate so I would prefer to have someone else take that hit. Also, new boutique basses are rarely offered at deep discounts so i prefer and recommend the "new to me" aproach.

10. tylerwylie

tylerwylie

Jan 5, 2008
    Dunwoody, GA
    I'd say used Bongo 6, hell you can make an offer on mine but the Stealth HH models visually scream 'metal' despite sounding amazing for jazz, metal, electronica, and everything in between.(Rock included)

11. If you can up your limit slightly I'd suggest Chris Stambaugh. he made me a killer 6(plus another 6 & a 7, too).