Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help for Outlook Express Craziness?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by rickbass, Jul 12, 2004.

1. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

If any of you PC wizards here could help me, I'd sure appreciate it.

The nuttiness is - On 5/13/04 I received a notification from Talkbass that there was a response to a thread in which I participated, "Are Peaveys Really That Frowned Upon ?"

Since that time, everytime my inbox cursor lands on that inbox notification, my inbox freezes.
    Since getting that thread notification, sometimes opening some of my other TB thread notifications freeze the inbox. I may be wrong, but it seemed like this never happened until Paul did some kind of upgrade...(I could be wrong).
    If I already have an open web thread, such as a TB thread or anything else on the web, I can access that.
    BUT, my inbox is totally frozen! All I know to do is hit, "C-Alt-Del", do the "End Task" stuff, send the useless MS "Error Report" and start my Outlook 6 over.

If any of you have suggestions as to how to cure this insanity, I'd sure try them.
    I wouldn't try getting rid of my Outlook 6 because it has so much important info to me, then reloading it, and reloading it.

Thanks for taking the time to look at this!

2. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I have one or two come in lately with 'script errors, delete the
    email, clean the box, do a rebuild, and move on ..

3. rickbass

That's what's killin' me, Thor - Everytime I even move my inbox cursor to highlight this message, the damn machine freezes up my Outlook.
    In other words, I can't touch this damned TB thread reply notification without my Outlook locking up!!!!

If I ever figure out how to delete this one "Peavey" email that's the culprit, I'll take the other steps you mentioned.

Thanks!

4. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    do you have a web client that you can go to the web and delete the message?

5. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ

The email would still be in his OE Inbox though.

6. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    good point.... i havent had that kinda problem since switching to the mac mail client... or even mozilla. sorry i cant be of any help

7. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ

Believe me, these threads make me very happy that my home computer is a PowerBook. :)

8. atldeadhead

atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Georgia
    Are you using the preview window in Outlook express? That's *probably* where the error is rendering itself thats causing outlook to freeze up on you. I don't know what the error is that's occuring but I can offer some advice on how to delete the message from your inbox.

If you disable the preview window you *should* then be able to delete the message header and thus the message. I don't use Outlook Express so I'm not exactly sure how to turn off the preview pane. In Outlook 2000 you click on "View" and then click on "Preveiw Pane" to turn off the preview window. It might be the same way in Outlook express.

Ahhh...gotta love google. check out this page for more explicit directions: http://aroundcny.com/technofile/texts/bit051502.html

9. rickbass