help for speaker replacement for henry 8x8

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by in2dagrave, Apr 4, 2005.

1. i am replacing my speakers in my swr henry 8x8...the ones that were in it were celestion bg8-60(which i beleive are 60 watts at 4 ohms)...any suggestions on good replacement speakers?(as i dont want to put in the same ones due to 8 blown speakers)...any help would be cool!!!
  2. Maybe the new yorkville 808 cab has better speakers? Go check out there site and if you like what they are try and find those?
  3. BassIan

BassIan Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Cupertino, California
    As with any cabinet, it's not so simple. You would need 8" drivers whose Thiele-Small parameters are suitable for the cabinet. High-end 8" pro-audio woofers aren't an overly common animal, so you're not likely to have a lot of luck matching things up. I know the cabinet design for the SWR 8x8 isn't a simple sealed cabinet either. Ported cabinets like the SWR are going to be far less tolerant of mismatched specs and will likely endanger otherwise tougher drivers.

Perhaps you could share some more information about your setup? The 8x8 is a loud, low cabinet, and I haven't heard of that many problems with them, so maybe a few of us could offer suggestions that would be more suitable using the original specification drivers. What head powers the 8x8? What kind of bass do you play? What's your band like? All of the answers to these questions may help us make suggestions.
  4. i believe has some good and inexpensive 8" speakers
  5. i am in a death metal band...i use a 450 watt ampeg svt amp...from what i understand the cab handles 480 watts...i recently upgraded my guitar to an active electronics carvin bass...i am at a loss...
  6. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Did you blow all 8 cones at once??Do you use any distortion? What level do have your gain/volume settings at?
  7. nastyn8c

Feb 7, 2005
    Tampa, FL
    I have blown both speakers in an SWR Bigfoot at the same time, so I think it is conceivable that he blew all 8 at once (matching specs). I would look to eminence for speakers. Try the Alpha 8MR.
  8. BassIan

Apr 27, 2003
    Cupertino, California
    Was your amplifier clipping at all while you were playing? The only way I can see this happening unless it was an electrical fault that caused them to blow is if your amplifier was distorting its output. At that point, it would not be producing 450 watts, it could be producing peaks of double that, which are what could melt a driver's voice coil. What are your equalizer settings on the amplifier? I'm assuming you have an SVT3-Pro head, so tell me about the knobs and the graphic equalizer, if you use it.
  9. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Good questions. Also, how many strings has your bass got? What are your typical EQ settings?

This might seem like irrelevent questions, but before you spend money on replacement speakers, the first step should really be to diagnose what caused them to blow in the first place. Otherwise, there's a good chance you'll blow the new speakers as well.

Out of curosity, does anyone know the dB Sensitivity rating of the Henry 8?
  10. I'd be real concerned about why you're blowing so many drivers. The Henry 8x8 is a solid cab and I haven't heard of any driver problems with them. Somethin ain't right. You're either clipping the hell out of your amp or the amp has something wrong with it, like it's passing DC or something.
  11. yes i blew all 8 speakers at once...i have the svt 3 pro...the eq is set for more low end...not too much high end...the mid range is about distortion or efx...i usually use the amp at quarter volume(mabey a little more if im in a loud club) amp dosent clip often...i hardly ever see the red bass is a 4 string carvin lb-70 with the active upgrade...i have owned this cabinet since 1995...and have gigged with it for over 500 shows...i dont want to get rid of it as i have loved it long time!!!
  12. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    The Alpha 8 MR is a sealed back midrange driver unsuitable for this application. I'm not aware of any eight inch Eminence drivers that I'd put into a bass cab. For that matter I'm not aware of any commonly available eight that I'd use in a non horn-loaded bass cab subject to high power high SPL usage. These are probably best to get from SWR, but you may want to just consider abandining the box entirely. As for why they blew, I'll just go out on a limb and make the assumption that you need something more on the line of an 8x10 instead of an 8x8 for the style of music you play and the volume you play it at. The wattage rating of the SWR is immaterial; if it isn't loud enough it isn't loud enough, and if you're in the habit of blowing drivers then it isn't loud enough..
  13. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Well, he is in a DMetal band, could get pretty friggin' loud, maybe he just killed it the old fashioned way, maybe it's time to step-up to the larger SVT and 8x10's..
    EDIT: Bill beat me to it!!

14. 96 dB SPL @1W1M
    Whoa, I didn't know the sensitivity was that low.
  15. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Yep, it's time to abandon 8's. It's a great cab but it doesn't suit you application. If you're boosting the lows at the EQ, you need bigger diameter drivers, preferably something with a higher sensitivity rating. You were about to drop a large sum of money of 8 replacement drivers. Maybe instead you should use that money to re-think your rig. Time to hit the music stores.

Maybe start by testing out an 8x10 (or two 4x10's for portability). Consider maybe 4x12's, or perhaps mixing a 15 with a 4x10. All these combinations will sound different and I'm sure on of them will suit your preferences. If after all that you still prefer the tone of the 8x8, you might consider using 2 of them (Don't forget to account for nominal impedance issues).
  16. BassIan

Apr 27, 2003
    Cupertino, California
    It sounds like you've been pushing it just too hard. Death metal with bass boosted and 500 shows is an alright track record. If you need more volume (and you do, since the drivers are now blown), you need to look at getting a louder cabinet. A good spec to start with in terms of this is sensitivity. Your Henry had a 96dB sensitivity. That's pretty low by bass cabinet standards, and usually means LOTS of power to go loud. If you looked at Accugroove or Shroeder cabinets, you'd see sensitivites between 102 and 104dB. 102dB sensitivity would be a very noticeable difference, akin to putting 4 times the power into your current cabinet. You need a louder (read more sensitive) cabinet.
  17. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    He said that he played over 500 shows with his Henry 8x8... Maybe that is the life expectancy of his speakers, as he uses them? That is a lot of shows. That is a year and a half of daily gigging at Death Metal volume.

If ya like the cab as it is, you probably have to use the same speakers from SWR or maybe recone the existing ones.
  18. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Those 8's in the Henry I'm pretty sure are Celestions. Make that $ele$tion$. To recone those=big $$... donate the empty cab to charity. Unless I could recone it for $400 I'd move on too. (Eminence 8mr would be a total mistake, its a sealed mid driver)
  19. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Try the guys at lowdown sound...they work with 8's a lot.
  20. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    It just occured to me that I have owned quite a few cabs with multiple drivers of the same size, blown my share(not any more, thanks Bag End!)and have always blown one at a time!! Maybe I just got lucky? I lack any technical facts to support this, but my gut is telling me you must have had a pretty sizable "spike" to wreck all those speakers at once, it would seem improbable that all the driver's would fail at the same time just from overworking, even WAY overworking the cab..