Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help for the best slap setup

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by W.J., Jan 7, 2001.

1. W.J.

W.J.

Oct 31, 2000
    hi again !! :)

well , my bass setup is good , but when I listen to records the slap sound is much better then mine . Is there a special setup for getting such a bright clean sound or is it my technique ? I currently use an Ibanez atk and a fender
    bxr 300c ( '92 ). It has a enhance knob , low and high and I like this amp because it can produce a good nice low sound
    is there a special effect ? or do I have to throw it all in the garbage-bin ?

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well.. there are an awful lot of things that could be affecting the sound that you're hearing. If you mentioned a particular record, then it might be possible to say what it is that is characteristically giving that sound or what is contributing most towards it.

The depressing thing is that it is probably down to the technique of the people you're listening to. But here are some other ideas. Basses with decent string spacing - not narrow seem to work better and when you mention bright clean sound, this could be due to a couple of things. Firstly, good muting technique so that strings aren't ringing when you don't want them to, muddying the sound. Secondly we are probably talking about "studio-quality" compression. Now every compression {b]pedal[/b] I've heard is worse than useless IMO, but a slight amount of compression introduced in the studio with very high quality unit - i.e. mega-expensive(!!)can really make a slapped line stand out.

3. Samie

Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    You can get a really nice slap tone on most active basses if you put highs to max, lows to max, and eliminate ALL mids. Same with the amp. regulate the highs with the low botton... if its to bright add lows..

4. W.J.

W.J.

Oct 31, 2000
    thanks ... you 2 but.. I don't hear any buzz in my technique maybe it's this compression thing ( I've got a limiter will this do the same ? )a while ago I've been to this concert and the PA guy putted some compression on the bass and it sounded like inside a metal box ( it was hell!!)
    i've been to another concert of this band , without the **** PA dude and it was much better ! so I can't see the point of using one and yes I have an active bass even with an enhance switch but I've heard better sounds even life !!
    :confused:
    thank you for reacting on my thread

5. Bruce Lindfield

No a limiter is not the same thing at all and I was trying to be very careful to point out that I don't think it's worth buying any of the pedals on the market that will provide compression either; but that in the studio you can be a lot more subtle and also spend a lot time on getting exactly the right sound with a large array of tools available to you, which would be impossible to reproduce exactly in a live situation. The sound "like in a metal box" is more likely to be some sort of delay effect or flanging, rather than any sort of compressor.

I would repeat that if you can point to a particular sound on a recording that you have heard then maybe it would be possible to give more idea of how to achieve what it is you are looking for.

6. W.J.

W.J.

Oct 31, 2000
    Well I've got this practice CD of Jon Liebman it comes with Funk bass practice book by Jon and this is the best record
    to mention what I mean . nice high pops , clean and bright
    I don't seem to manage that .
    The rest I can come up with are low budget records of local bands so it can't be that costy to get a perfect sound.

7. Bruce Lindfield

Sorry I haven't heard that one - maybe somebody else has and could help.

If you say there are local bands who get a great slap sound, then I think the best idea would be to go along to their gigs and look at what the bass player is doing and if possible try to get to talk to that player afterwards. We all love being flattered and I'm sure if you went up to a local bass player and said "Great Sound - how do you get that, what's the most important factor ...etc." then you would have no problem getting a few ideas. And if you buy them a drink, you probably won't be able to stop them talking! ;)

8. W.J.

W.J.

Oct 31, 2000
    ... for trying to help me out maybe it's just a matter of time and experience :)

9. I wouldn't totally eliminate the mids... I think a decent amount of high mids contributes to a very nice slap tone.

10. Samie

Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    I used to slap a lot in my old days... I no longer do. I used to be able to get a great slap sound from basically any bass, I used an old fender jazz borrowed from a non bassplayer roomate( I had no Idea of the value of the bass or else..) to get that sweet twang that integrates with rest of the sounds of the band it was best to rely on the highs not the mids. However if you are doing a lot of taping(your thumb) then you need the mids and highs, you also have to attenuate quite a bit the sounds of the slap with your right hand palm..

11. W.J.

W.J.

Oct 31, 2000
    Thanks ( again :) )

I think i 've got it ! I don't cut any mids on my bass
    otherwise I get this ' no punch ' tone . and my amp has a 3
    bands EQ and a variable ( in frequenty ) mid which will be turned towards 1 à 4 khz so now I've got my normal high punch + and extra punch !! realy smooth :cool:
    I think its my overall bass-sound that causes this problem
    The ibanez atk bass gives an kind of enhanced sound and
    you 'll get rather quickly a high unpleasent sharpness , which I don't hear at any records I mentioned.
    Now my EQ. is set very carefully but its not what i want but ... it's better now thanks ( better not think about new strings; My EQ. would be all wrong again ):cool::cool: