1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

HELP!!! Fret leveling needed by shipping a bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassguppy, Apr 20, 2006.

1. I recently purchased used from evilbay a 2003 Fender FMT American Deluxe Jazz. Upon receipt, I noticed quite significant fret buzz between the 14th thru 17th frets. I guessed it was probably in need of a truss rod adjustment or setup from being shipped across the country. The setup person (Joe from Zone Music in Cotati, CA) stated that he wasn't able to completely allieviate the buzzing & the bass needed a fret leveling. He gave me the name of a local luthier who they send more complex repairs.

My question is would a bass need a fret leveling by being shipped across the country OR was this probably an issue beforehand that the ebay seller didn't mention.

2. BSR6P-Bob

BSR6P-Bob

Apr 5, 2005
    Was likely an issue beforehand.
    For what it's worth they can come from the factory needing a fret level.

Depending on the manufacturer I consider a fret leveling/dressing as a possible part of an initial "setup" even on a new bass.

3. It was probably an issue beforehand, but he probably "forgot" to mention it. Imagine that...an e-Bay seller with a bad memory! Fortunately, fret levelling is no big deal.

4. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    Are the high frets lifting out of the board. Or are they just, well, high?

If they're lifting out, that could happen if the bass went thru a lot, and I mean a lot, of really severe shifts in humidity and temperature during the few days it was in transit, but I doubt it. My guess would be that the problem was there before, but I wouldn't assume malicious intent on the part of the seller. That's the kind of thing that might not get noticed, unless you were playing up in the problem area.