Help Frizzle Get Funky!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by TheFrizzleFry, Jun 21, 2001.

1. TheFrizzleFry

TheFrizzleFry Guest

Nov 21, 2000
    Stinktown, Pa, USA
    Alright, a very valid point came up while discussing why I am unfunky, I don't listen to enough funk! But anyways, long story short, I recently got a CD burner and I was thinking, why not make a "best of funk" CD?! So if anyone has any recommendations for the world's funkiest tunes, go ahead and throw em on this board. The only two I can think of that are really cool/funky are...

Flashlight by Parilment
    Funky President by James Brown

But they are the general style I want, thanks.
  2. Curtis Mayfield - Superfly
    Marvin Gaye - What's Going On
    Sly & the Family Stone - Thank U
    Stevie Wonder - Higher Ground
  3. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    check out more of Parliament, there are some other great tunes besides Flashlight.
    But since you have "Higher Ground" by Stevie, I think it would be cool to include RHCP cover of "Higher ground" off of Mother's Milk.
  4. Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    Parliament and James Brown are two very different kinds of funk, IMO. I'd suggest you get the JB's anthology (2 cd set of James Brown's band). You won't be dissapointed. Also, get The Meter's anthology. If you're looking for just songs, I'd recommend "Brickhouse" by the Commodores, "Car Wash" by Rose Royce, and "Jungle Boogie" by Kool and the Gang. But really, get a James Brown greatest hits cd at the very least!
  5. For great nasty funk I would suggest you pick up Maggot Brain by Funkadelic.
  6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I like all these and I would recomend anything off Stevie Wonder's "Songs in the Key of Life" plus :

T. Connection - Do what you wanna do
    Average White Band - Pick up the pieces
    EW & F - Saturday nite
    KC & the Sunshine Band - Get down tonight
    Cameo - Word Up
    Grace Jones - Pull up to the Bumper
    Banbarra - Shack Up
    Tom Browne - Funkin for Jamaica (ooer synth bass!)
    Kool and the Gang - Funky Stuff
    Give up the Funk - Parliament
    Ohio Players - fire
    Rufus - tell me something good
    Sly and the Family Stone - almost anything - faves - If you want me to stay, Thank You, Family Affair and Dance to the Music.
  7. well, I´m listening to one of the funkiest stuff on the market today right now... at least from iceland :)

I´m listening to the new Jaguar cd, "Get the funk out". Great cd... really 70's kind of funk. I saw them live last night, and the premiere of their 26 min. movie that was before they played. it was like those old movies made in the early seventies, the first real "car chasing, sex, shooting, some more car chasing" movies, and it kicked ass!

If you like funk, you´ll like Jagúar!

their website is but there´s nothing there... :(

*singing*get the funk out! get the funk out!*singing*
  8. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Some "current" Funk-a-teers you may wanna check out-
    1)Liquid Soul (
    2)The Groove Collective
    3)The Brand New Heavies

The James Brown stuff with Bootsy & Clyde Stubblefield IS essential as is The Meters' stuff(as Cornbread mentioned).
    Frizzle, do you READ or, at least, understand rhythmic notation? If so, it would be easier explainin' certain things.
  9. Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Spare us the 1 e & a 2 e & a crap.... PLEASE!!!

just kidding :p

10. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    This just in on Rhino Records:

Glory B Da' Funks on Me! The Bootsy Collins Anthology

Two CDs worth of funky goodness.
  11. TheFrizzleFry

TheFrizzleFry Guest

Nov 21, 2000
    Stinktown, Pa, USA
    I know nuszinng!
  12. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    DAMN! :D

...I hear ya, Schultzie! :D
  13. The JB's is a great place to start. There are some really simple bass lines that are pretty easy to pick out by ear. Once you figure some out, you'll realize that many of them are 2-3 note repetitive phrases. But they work in that context and it makes the whole song groove. Check out a tune by the JB's called "All Aboard the Funky Soul Train." There's some octaves in there and you can tell that Jaco drew from that kind of stuff.

If you want to hear a busier funk line by none other than Jaco himself, I recommend "Come on Come Over" on his self-titled debut. You can hear his famous "popcorn" 16th note lines.

Another album I strongly recommend is Jamiroquai's first one called "Emergency on Planet Earth." By the time you transcribe the whole album, I guarantee that people will start smelling your funk! The lines are a little more complicated and the tunes are also musically more complicated, but you'll still see many common funk bass patterns consisting of root-fith-octave.

And another thing to think about when playing the really simple basslines, especially the ones with octaves - rhythm is very important!!!! Accenting one of the notes differently, or slightly altering rhythmic patterns based on the same notes can have a tremendous effect on the funk. The slightest of changes can have such a big effect on the entire groove!

Funk it up!
  14. Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    alexssandro, right on with the Jamiroquai suggestion! I still haven't really sat down to learn that whole album since it has some tricky, funky basslines.
    If you want to venture more towards jazz-land, Herbie Hancock's "Thrust" is some of the funkiest stuff I've heard from him. "Man-child" comes in second, with "Headhunters" in third. :D
  15. bumpcity

May 12, 2001
    I really like all of what has been mentioned so far. Some notable stuff I didn't see so far:

tower of power ->(anything, but I have to pick one or two...) "soul vaccination", or "what is hip?"

prince -> "whats my name?" or "house quake"
  16. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Now, people might not agree with some of my choices, but to me, all these songs are pretty funky!

DeeLite - Groove Is In The Heart
    Charles Wright & The Watts 103rd St. Rhythm Band - Express Yourself
    Aretha Franklin - Rock Steady
    The Foundations - Build Me Up Buttercup
    The O'Jays - For The Love Of Money
    The Jacksons - Blame It On The Boogie
    The Jacksons - Can You Feel It?
    Michael Jackson - Billie Jean
    James Brown - Sex Machine
    Stevie Wonder - Superstition
    Stevie Wonder - Black Man
    Chic - Everybody Dance (Full Version)
    Ian Dury & The Blockheads - Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick
    Jamiroquai - Mr Moon
    Jamiroquai - Scam
    Jamiroquai - Canned Heat
    Jamiroquai - Black Capricorn Day
    Herbie Hancock - Chameleon
    Herbie Hancock - Palm Grease
    Herbie Hancock - Wiggle Waggle
    The Brand New Heavies - Ten Ton Take
    The Brand New Heavies - Snake Hips
    The Mahavishnu Orchestra - Vital Transformation
    John Lennon - Whatever Gets You Through The Night
    Curtis Mayfield - Move On Up
    Isaac Hayes - Theme From Shaft
    Kool And The Gang - Jungle Boogie
    Mongo Santamaria - We Got Latin Soul
    Beck - Mixed Bizness
    Beck - Sexx Laws
    Bootsy's Rubber Band - The Pinocchio Theory
    Parliament - Give Up The Funk
    Parliament/Funkadelic - Cosmic Slop
    Fatboy Slim feat. Bootsy Collins - Weapon Of Choice
    Prince - Pretty Man
    The Rolling Stones - Sympathy For The Devil
    The Commodores - Machine Gun
    The Doors - Peace Frog
    The Meters - Cissy Strut
    Wham! - Club Tropicana

...And one of my favourite songs, full stop!, is 'The Bottle' by Gil Scott-Heron and Brian Jackson

17. TheFrizzleFry

TheFrizzleFry Guest

Nov 21, 2000
    Stinktown, Pa, USA
    I figured instead of starting up a new thread, I'd bump this up and ask...

Alright, now I need funky songs that have the sweetest basslines ever! Some funky stuff is more *wicka wicka* guitar and not enough *whom whom* bass. Something like Jamariqou (So I can't spell his name...) but it doesn't have to be that complicated, just generally cool. I mean, I know funk is usually bass driven (which is frikkin' sweet!) but I don't wanna sort through all those. So... sweet bass that's funky...?

P.S. David, I refused to dirty my computer by downloading a Wham song on it!!!
  18. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Somebody else wants to get funky now!
  19. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

I use to be awesome!